30-06 Question on Groups

i sent you a PM. not much vertical in that hornady group. i would try it again. i have not used that scope i am sure it is a nice one.

I agree with the verticle statement. If you have wind issues you owe it to yourself to try again in low wind or no wind. It's not just a matter of the bullet being tossed around it is also the shooter. Just a thought. My 06 Likes 165 and 180 pills. It shoots a 180 nosler AB in 3/8 inch groups at 100. At 300 it is 1.25". Stock remington 700 BDL.

I'm pretty stoked that I found another store that has a good supply of 30-06 ammo.

Here's what they have:

• 180 Remington Scirocco
  • 180 Remington Core Lok Ultra bonded
  • 180 Swift A Frame
  • 165 Federal Nosler Partition
  • 150 Barnes Vor TX
How's the Barnes VorTX for Elk? I would like to try the Nosler Partitions. Do any of the other loads run fast?

I appreciate you guys helping a novice out.
Dave

Dave those are all great elk loads. i would not rule out the 180 horn load with out shooting it again.

I missed the memo on the importance of a fouled barrel.

I am so relieved. The gun can shoot. It just needed a good fouling.

30-06a%2520%25281%2529.JPG

I was so discouraged after the first 5 shots today. I had cleaned the barrel real good. They were going all over the place. (see center of target)

I shot 3 more (top right). ****, I was ready to sell the gun for a loss and start over. I was bumming.

I almost packed it up but decided to shoot one more round. Bingo baby. I now had hope.
30-06a%2520%25282%2529.JPG

I switched over from the 150 gr to the Hornady 180 SP to see what would happen. The first group wasn't so great (bottom right). The second group was good.
30-06a%2520%25283%2529.jpg

The winds were variable to 10mph. I forgot my rests and had to use the range supplied sand bags. I would have been more stable with my rests.

I need to call Leupold tomorrow regarding the parallax adjustment. At 100 yards I had 4 inches of side to side movement when I was moving my head. That seems way to high. The side focus was set to 100 yards. Up / down movement was not an issue.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I've got it under control now!
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.