30-06 or 300mag

Took one last year at 300 yards with my 30-06 using a 180 Accubond. She fell instantly and died. Bullet went through the lungs.

I prefer my 30-06 over my 300 Win Mag. It's lighter, less recoil, cheaper to shoot, etc.

Big fan of the 190ABLR in 30-06. Should be able to find an accuracy node between 2700-2800fps holding over 1500 ft lbs of energy beyond 800 yards. If I think I "need" something more than the -06, I'll reach for the RUM or 338.

QUOTE: If I think I "need" something more than the -06, I'll reach for the RUM or 338.

Or just jump to the .338 and be done with it! ;) 😁 memtb

Figjam I know 6.5's will do the deal as I used to own a 264 win mag and it killed very well.I shot a huge muley buck at 400 yards and it's impossible to die any quicker but I had a horrible thing happen when I used a 300 Savage on an elk and it has soured me on smaller rounds than the 30/06.Just my opinion.
Others can do as they please but personally I stay with 30/06 and 300 win mag on elk.
I have used the 300 Weatherby mag with success and had a close friend that killed as many elk as I have with a 270.
Old Rooster

At 400 yards, the 30-06 can do everything the 300 WM can do with substantially less recoil. According to Hornady 4DOF, the 30-06 loaded with a 168 grain bullet traveling 2900 fps drops drops 19.6" at 400 yards vs 16.8" a 300WM traveling 3100 fps. Factor in recoil in an 8.25 pound rifle (30-06 @ 18 foot pounds vs 300WM @ 31 foot pounds) and the venerable 30-06 comes out on top in my mind.

First time elk hunter. Is a 30-06 enough out to 400 yards or do I need a new gun.
J.Y. Jones decided to hunt all of North America's legally huntable animals with the same rifle in caliber 30-06 Springfield. He was successful with five North American bears, all eight North American deer subspecies, North American Sheep Grand Slam, all six caribou , three elk, four moose, the pronghorn, mountain goat, walrus, jaguar.
He wrote a book :
ONE MAN, ONE RIFLE, ONE LAND
Hunting All Species of Big Game in North America
by J. Y. Jones

One more thought that Ducky helped me to remember,I love a wood stocked rifle and drool at one's I see but one of my wood stocked 300 win mag's shoots lights out at 3800 feet above sea level but at 6400 feet above sea level it is way off.Altitude can make a great shooter less accurate at high altitudes so I take a synthetic stocked rifle when I can hunt high up.
My wood stocked Winchester 70 feather weight in 270 does not change at high altitude so not all wood stocked rifles change p o i.
Just a thought as we have confirmed that a 30-06 CAN do the job.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

J.Y. Jones decided to hunt all of North America's legally huntable animals with the same rifle in caliber 30-06 Springfield. He was successful with five North American bears, all eight North American deer subspecies, North American Sheep Grand Slam, all six caribou , three elk, four moose, the pronghorn, mountain goat, walrus, jaguar.
He wrote a book :
ONE MAN, ONE RIFLE, ONE LAND
Hunting All Species of Big Game in North America
by J. Y. Jones
It's a great book. I read it this past winter.
Unfortunately some of the game he took is much more difficult if not impossible to hunt 30 years later.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.