30-06 or 300mag

06 with 165gr Barnes for instance would be fine. Guy used a 165gr Nosler partition, and we've used that too. Works fine. Not sure where Target Rush finding all these inaccurate 06s as they been "the" target guns for 70 years, and only been the last 20 or so, that folks have started using 223s and such. 06 plenty for Elk, but would not go too heavy with the bullets. 180 tops.

Wait...is this the LRH forum? Can't be. Where are all the: "Jesus Man, you can't shoot an elk with anything less than a .338 Lapua Mag firing a 300 grain mega-penetrator! They are TOUGHER than a bull elephant in heat and if you have to fire length-wise through them at 1400 yards, that ought-six just isn't going to git 'er done. Even better would be a .50 BMG firing a Hammer 750 grain, because an elk can't be too dead. Besides, you might SEE a bear on your hunt! Do you want to face a bear with anything less than an anti-tank weapon? Lessor calibers are for limp-wristed, vegan, tofu-sucking, tree-huggers who can't hack the 'push-back' of a REAL rifle fitted with a 48" barrel and a 6" muzzle break that'll shatter ear-drums 100 miles away."

I'm just stunned. I mean, people are actually AGREEING that a humble, 1906 derived .30 caliber military cartridge can actually do more than scratch the outer hide of the mighty WAPITI? It boggles the mind ;o)

I vote for 165 grain Nosler Partition in your fine rifle, sir. Good luck. Elk are the best tasting critters. Wish I could have a constant freezer full of 'em.
Its because it is a .308 caliber still. For some reason guys think anything in 30 cal is adequate for elk, even if you are shooting 150gr bullets in it. But mention a .264 cal 147gr bullet and **** hits the fan on the forum. Its a special kind of crazy.

As if people EVER read what the OP actually wrote, ha! It is funny to see 400 yards as 'short-range' but in the LRH world, that's so true. You made me laugh.

Or maybe, just maybe different people have a different opinion of what Long Range means to THEM. Think that's a possibility?

Its because it is a .308 caliber still. For some reason guys think anything in 30 cal is adequate for elk, even if you are shooting 150gr bullets in it. But mention a .264 cal 147gr bullet and ---- hits the fan on the forum. Its a special kind of crazy.
Who the hell shoots at elk with a 150gr 30 cal bullet?

How come anytime you put "elk" and "caliber/cartridge" in a thread it goes crazy?

I put the words Georgia, deer, and cartridge together and everyone just laughs and says .223 FMJ will take care of it. :confused:

I've never shot an elk, but the .30-06 is a fine cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.