30-06 loads for elk

I'll have to add. I bedded my Model 70, and by doing so it groups 3/4" @ 100 yds. As stated in another post , when i throw it up to my shoulder it's right there. I bought the gun in 1968 and topped it with a Burris 3/9x40 in 1984 slipped and slid down the sides for the mountains near Augusta and Stanford MT. for over 25 yrs. and she keeps right on a tickin.

Hi guys, I am a new shooter and a new hunter and would like to make some good choices. I have been diligently searching the forum for info on this topic, and my results are mixed. As always we have the O'Connor folk that think a .270 is just fine and others who won't hunt elk with anything less than a .338.

So I don't mean to open that can of worms. But it looks like my go to gun for the next year or two will be my 30-06. I have a 20 year old Savage model, which still shoots about 2 moa. Okay maybe 2.5. So I won't be shooting at anything longer than 300 yards.

I would like to hear from some people not just loads they recommend but maybe the logic behind the choice, if you can teach me to fish that should be better than giving me a fish. Can you shoot a 150 grain? Do you have to go 180? Is it an issue of balancing weight and expansion? What other factors are there?

Thanks in advance, I would rather be a credit to the hunting community than a liability, I think a more knowledgeable bullet selection would help out in that regard.
Quite honestly, I have hunted Roosevelt elk with 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. A good friend of mine has harvested many elk with a 308 using 150 grain corelocks....he is a very good shot and hunter. In the '50s my father took a Brown Bear in Labrador, and a Polar Bear in Greenland with 180 gr factory load....single shot kills on both. Now-a-days....the thoughts are bigger, faster is better.....in reality, shot placement is what matters. Roy Weatherby like the 257 Weatherby Mag for Elk. If you are getting reasonably close (250 yards or less), and can shoot, a 30-06 with a 165 or 180 grain bonded bullet is fine. That said, you should be practicing....if you can't get 1 MOA, I would keep practicing at the range before heading to the woods.

165 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range is my choice. I haven't killed anything with this bullet in .30-06 but I did use a 150 gr ABLR in a 270 Weatherby to take 13 gemsbok, red hartebeast, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, kudu, and warthog without any bullet performance issues. Several were shot within 300 yards.

165 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range is my choice. I haven't killed anything with this bullet in .30-06 but I did use a 150 gr ABLR in a 270 Weatherby to take 13 gemsbok, red hartebeast, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, kudu, and warthog without any bullet performance issues. Several were shot within 300 yards.

I agree with your choice of the 165 Accubond. I consistently get 1/2 to 5/8", 5 shot groups. This isn't with a precision rifle...but a 1991 Weatherby Vanguard.....it is a proven performer. I have taken several deer, and antelope with it.

I'm jealous of your Africa hunts. I usually hunt with by Brother-in-Law....I tried to talk him into an Africa hunt for years....now we are too old for such an adventure.....but I still hunt Elk....just not as hard as in my youth.

Might want to take a look at Hornady American Whitetail ammo, having shot it in three different cartridges, mainly to reload the brass, it has been accurate to crazy accurate. If the 180 gr interlock shoots well in your rifle, get 4 boxes and get ready for your hunt.

Fantastic data, thanks.

I am interested in staying under 300 yards because of accuracy concerns mostly.

My rifle has been re-scoped with new rings in the last few months. Tightening up at the receiver is a new idea, will check into it. We are debating a new barrel, but I honestly don't know if I'm experienced enough or good enough to be taking shots longer than that even if I was handed a $5,000 rig.

Please keep the input coming.
I have a 03A3 that was customized many years ago and will sling 180 Remington Core-Lokt" out to 300 yards all day long. It's the only load I use for it to cover all game with it.

30'06 has killed many a men in wars(WW1,WW2,&Korea ) . '06 is plenty enough for elk. Restricted to copper bullets in California. Barnes ,Nosler Green Tip and Hornady GMX. Prefer Barnes 168 grain .

Last edited:
I hunt with the 168 Gr Barnes as well, good load. I'd even go lower to the 150 TTSX if it shot as well in my rifle. I don't have restrictions here I just like that Barnes don't spread lead through the meat and generally stay in one piece.

I hunt with the 168 Gr Barnes as well, good load. I'd even go lower to the 150 TTSX if it shot as well in my rifle. I don't have restrictions here I just like that Barnes don't spread lead through the meat and generally stay in one piece.
I too like the idea of the TTSXs and have used them in my 300WM. That said, I have never found them very accurate....1" groups is as good as I've got in the 300.

Accubonds in 165gr in my 06 have proved very good.....1/2" groups. I was never ever able to get the TTRSXs under 1" groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.