30-06 loads 1:11.25 Twist

gunner69

Hello,

I just a had a new 30-06 rifle built, Bighorn Action, Rock River 1:11.25 twist barrel 25" etc etc. The chamber was cut using a PTG Serengeti reamer so shoulder a bit different than standard 30-06 springfield. Looking to use the Berger 185 Classic Hunter bullets. My brass is Winchester and neck turned. I am looking for a good starting load understanding that it would be rare that a 600+ yard shot at an animal would ever be taken. Any suggestions would be appreciated especially from those using 30 cal Rock River barrels.

Best,
chris

I have a 26" 1:12 heavy barreled .30-06 AI 40* shoulder, and it likes between 60-62gr of IMR 7828 SSC with a 185 Berger VLD, Rem brass (I don't use Rem ammo components, but it was free range brass I re-purposed), and a Federal 210M primer.

Shoots nice and fast. Around 2,850-2,900 fps, according to QL. I haven't had a chance to chrono it yet.

Since your's is not an AI, you will have to back down on the powder charge a significant amount. I'd start around 50gr and work my way up to find pressure signs with 7828 SSC.

im shooting a standard 22" 30-06 in a factory savage barrel but with the 185 classic hunters in win brass and 53.5 grains of imr 4350 it shoots consitantly in the .3s. the bullets are very forgiving and the accuracy didnt change much with the seating depth so i set them .o15 off the lands

gunner- there are a lot of articles on 30-06 on riflemansjouirnal.com ......yours sounds like a great set up

Ya. I have several .284's, Lazzeroni's etc. Wanted a gun that could travel global and be fine if the ammo got lost or confiscated. 30-06 I read is the most widely found ammo on the planet that would do the job on just about any animal except the largest of African game..... I plan on gifting it to my son when he obtains his Boy Scout Eagle. Should set him up for a lifetime of fun and unbelievable memories.

Ya. I have several .284's, Lazzeroni's etc. Wanted a gun that could travel global and be fine if the ammo got lost or confiscated. 30-06 I read is the most widely found ammo on the planet that would do the job on just about any animal except the largest of African game..... I plan on gifting it to my son when he obtains his Boy Scout Eagle. Should set him up for a lifetime of fun and unbelievable memories.

You made a good choice in the cartridge.. just out of curiosity, what made you go with the 1-11.25 twist?

Heaviest bullet would be 200 gr for this gun. I have always found over the years that my most accurate loads were the ones in the stability safe zone but close to marginal. So in otherwords slower twist rates or not over rpm'd. Given the target weight bullet that twist is what I settled on.

I hear you. A little science and a little black magic. I have one a year built and its always fun. Read germans blog. Super. Looks like he is a fan of the Serengeti chamber too. Think I'll try some 4350 and go from there.

i use 50.5 of varget lapua brass 210M and 168 berger in my 700 mtn rifke and my sako mannlicher.

I hear you. A little science and a little black magic. I have one a year built and its always fun. Read germans blog. Super. Looks like he is a fan of the Serengeti chamber too. Think I'll try some 4350 and go from there.

I use imr 4350 with 178gr up to 200gr. And imr 4064 for any thing lighter than 178gr. And I can get good velocity and accuracy with those two powders..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.