30-06, H414, 209gr A-Max

justgoto

Yesterday I was ladder testing the 208gr A-max with H414 starting at 44.8 and ending at 47.2grains. 3 shots in these had a noticeable double explosion; two distinctive bangs, it sounded almost like a flintlock.

The shots hit the target as I would have expected, maybe a little off but I had no 2 inch spread as I had thought was going to happen.

I read about "hang-fires" from too little powder and was wondering if my problem was too little powder. The charges were medium loads. I was going to try larger charges, but thought it better to make a post before I loaded more cartridges.

What say you?

I can't say that's the cause but your charges do seem pretty low. Maybe in the neighborhood of 10 grains? I'm sure an 06 guy will be along to comment.

I can't say that's the cause but your charges do seem pretty low. Maybe in the neighborhood of 10 grains? I'm sure an 06 guy will be along to comment.

I try to be safe as I can when using new powder and start at the middle of the suggested loads.
I'll just keep going, The book suggests around 51 as the max, but I'll see.

Thanks for your input!

target2.jpg

That is the group I got at 300 yards with 49.8gr of h414.

The same size as my 30-30 which leads me to believe the rifles shoot better than I do. :)

Did that take care of your hang fire problem?

Yes it did. I had one more hang-fire which was on the second shot of the ladder test; it was so slight I don't think I would have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. The load I settled for is about 1.5 grains more than the last hang-fire. I have shot 10 cartridges with the 49.8gr charge with no problems whatsoever.

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.