30-06 for Long Range

Litz describes, not defines, ELR this way. I'll accept his description for arguments sake. " For our purposes, we'll consider ranges of 1500 yards and greater to be what defines ELR.". Out here in Eastern Oregon (2200 ft elevation) even a 208 gr AMAX or ELDM going 2700 fps would be right there depending on the conditions. https://elrcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ABDOC136_IntroToELR_Article.pdf
Well id suggest asking yourself if youve ever shot one at 1500 yds?
If not then id suggest you do, and while your at it try a few others with more powder capacity.
Then come back here and tell us what you saw, and if just maybe you have a different opinion.
I once asked Mr. Litz a question on this site about first round hits at extended distances.
His answer was that first round hits could be expected.
So can snow be expected in Jacksonville, but be carefull where you stick your thumb while your waiting.

No I haven't shot my featherweight at 1500 yards. But it's job and load is for 450 yards hunting limit. I've shot it beyond a 1000 yards with it, as well as my PSS in 308 win. I have some 208 gr bullets and RL26, but not going to waste them right now. I have no concerns of the performance of them out to 800 yards at 2700 fps for hunting, or out to a mile on targets. Once the pandemic is over and the reloading supplies get back to close to normal I'll post my results. I doubt anyone is really interested in my results But others have posted plenty on this subject over the years so I don't see why there is such a problem with the concept of 30-06 being a LR or ELR round. It all depends on the shooter and the gear. As far as shooting things at 1500 yards, not the 06. But I have shot others things at that distance and beyond back in the late 80's and early 90's. Heck a just shot my 22-250 1-14" at 800 yards the other day.

I never saw what the OP considered to be LR or ELR "hunting" would be. I lost the hunting point through this mess. So he needs to define what his limits are. For me personally if I could get 2700 fps with a 208 gr ELDM or better yet a 215 gr Hybrid I'd use it depending on the conditions out to 700 yards on elk. 2900 fps like Mram10us is getting would be even better. This site might define 1000 yards as LR or ELR for hunting. I'd say 6-700 yards could be LR or ELR for the 06 going 2700 fps w/ 208-215 gr. 950 yards at 2900 fps with the 215 gr in my area.

My kids used to spend hours hitting rocks at 5 and 6 hundred yards (on calm days) with 22 mags.
No doubt you could do likewise with a 7/08 or a 3/08 up to a mile or more.
But were not talking about just hitting targets here, were talking about hitting animals, ones that can walk away after having been hit in what might have been a good location with enough gun.
Tissue damage causing blood loss is what kills animals, that requires velocity, and the more the better.
I was pointing out that some have enough speed with the bigger bullets to match a 300wsm or 300wm. That causes plenty damage.

No semantics, you asked for a definition and I provided the site Admin's/forum's definition. What one does with it is another story.

Actually, no, it is semantics.

According to at least one dictionary, a definition is the exact meaning of something. There are two definitions posted in this conversation, the one from the forum and the one from Litz (Litz says that for his purposes he is defining ELR as 1500 yards and beyond, he didn't say that he is describing it, regardless his statement just supports my point that there is no absolute definition for ELR), therefore there is no exact meaning to the word and as a result how you define extremely long range is just semantics.

Actually, no, it is semantics.

According to at least one dictionary, a definition is the exact meaning of something. There are two definitions posted in this conversation, the one from the forum and the one from Litz (Litz says that for his purposes he is defining ELR as 1500 yards and beyond, he didn't say that he is describing it, regardless his statement just supports my point that there is no absolute definition for ELR), therefore there is no exact meaning to the word and as a result how you define extremely long range is just semantics.

You guys made it semantics, I simply provided LRH's definition. If you want to complicate it unnecessarily, that's on you but the fact is simply already defined. Like it or not it is the website's definition, not Litz's or anyone of us.

Dont need to own one to know what it does, and doesnt do. Ain't rocket science lmao...It will never be a 7 or 300 mag, which are both superior in just about every way imaginable. Period! I dont care what you say or think about it, its still an 06' and there's nothing special about it :)

Yup, that's why I never wasted my money on a 7 or 300 mag, I know that they are just crap guns.

You guys made it semantics, I simply provided LRH's definition. If you want to complicate it unnecessarily, that's on you but the fact is simply already defined. Like it or not it is the website's definition, not Litz's or anyone of us.

Why are there so many of you guys that think that because you said so it is an absolute fact that everybody else has to accept. I didn't make anything an issues of semantics, you posted that the forum had one definition and then you quoted Litz as saying that he was going to use another definition, you are the one who muddied the water. What the forum uses as a definition is not universal, obviously since we can easily find other posts where people use different distances to define the ranges. If you want to stick to the forum's definition then feel free to tell us that that is the definition you want to use, that doesn't mean that I have to use the same definition, it isn't a law and you can't force everybody to agree just because you want them to.

Oh, and just to add my two cents about the ability of the 06 to shoot any living things past 1000 yards, it'll do it under the right circumstances but it's not something I'd recommend, then again I don't recommend true long range hunting either, but there are better calibers out there that will provide for better bullet performance at ranges past 1000 yards.

Why are there so many of you guys that think that because you said so it is an absolute fact that everybody else has to accept. I didn't make anything an issues of semantics, you posted that the forum had one definition and then you quoted Litz as saying that he was going to use another definition, you are the one who muddied the water. What the forum uses as a definition is not universal, obviously since we can easily find other posts where people use different distances to define the ranges. If you want to stick to the forum's definition then feel free to tell us that that is the definition you want to use, that doesn't mean that I have to use the same definition, it isn't a law and you can't force everybody to agree just because you want them to.

I never quoted Litz's as you claimed. I simply responded to the fact that it does not matter what you and I think what it should be. The fact remains that Len/Admin, site owners came up with the definition. Like it or not, it is the fact. When you get to have your own site then you can define whatever you want it to be a fact. It is really is that simple.

tenor.gif

I was pointing out that some have enough speed with the bigger bullets to match a 300wsm or 300wm. That causes plenty damage.
Well lets get specific here, The 300 short mag (almost) duplicates the 300 Win mag.
And a 280 (almost) duplicates a 7 rem mag.
And we could go on and on with this theory which actually means very little.
If you dont think a 100 or 200 fps difference in velocity at long distances has much to offer, then were both wasting our time here even talking about it.

Well lets get specific here, The 300 short mag (almost) duplicates the 300 Win mag.
And a 280 (almost) duplicates a 7 rem mag.
And we could go on and on with this theory which actually means very little.
If you dont think a 100 or 200 fps difference in velocity at long distances has much to offer, then were both wasting our time here even talking about it.
We agree a 100-200fps make a difference. what is the point you are making? I might be missing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.