30 06 For Long Range Hunting, Or Not

clayshooter

I am a hunter and I read with great interest the information posted here on long range hunting. I shoot a 30-06 and I have limited experience out too 500 yards. I would like to hear from experienced shooters about the capability of the 30-06 to even greater distances and recommended rifle scope for such shooting. Thanks in advance.

I think your biggest problem is going to be adjusting for windage. On a calm day, using 180 accubonds, you should have enough energy to kill deer with well placed shots to about 800 yds: however, with a bullet starting as slow as it will out of the 30-06, you need to REALLY be able to read wind and correct for it. My brother got a nice muley this past year at 425 yds with about a 15mph crosswind -- the calculated drift for him was right at 15 inches. Get a scope that has accurate target turrets.

I have been shooting a pre 64 model 70 30-06 sense 1963 and for a go to rifle it can't be beat. With that being said there are much better choices out there for the sport of long range hunting. The scope on my rifle is a Luepold 3.5-10 Var X III and works well for what I use it for but at 500 yards you need about a 45 inch holdover and with a little wind it gets really complicated really fast.

The 06 is plenty capable of taking elk out to 450 yards and mule deer to around 600 depending on the load you use but you really need a scope such as a Nightforce or US Optics with adjustable turrets to be efficient at those ranges. As 184stak said even with a good scope it's the wind that will get you. The 06 would be a great round to start with just invest in a really good scope and learn to read the wind. Good luck.

well why dont you load some 175 grs hpbt bullets from sierra or verger if they work in a 308 win they should work in a 30-06 and gain a little more velocity and there is much more bullets that works well in a .30 caliber just develop many loads to see what works in your rifle

I get a kick out of all the military types stroking the prowess of the 308 Win but when the topic of the 30-06 comes up it is considered nothing better then the 308.

Even in its original loads it matches ANYTHING the 308 can produce. Using modern high pressure loadings, it will far out perform the 308.

Anyone that feel the 308 is an acceptable chambering simply can not make the argument that the 30-06 is not at least as capable.

Many will say the 30-06 is not as accurate as the 308. Well, perhaps if your comparing an old 03A in 06 with a modern M40 in 308......

Put them both on an equal platform and I would enjoy seeing someone prove the point that the 30-06 is any less accurate then the 308.

As far as long range shooting. With a properly set up rifle, the 30-06 will easily offer accurate 1000 yard reach with its best ballistic bullets. Personally, for big game hunting, I would limit it to 600-700 yards personally, just as I would the 308 but it will certainly perform at this range on big game.

Its really a matter of the rifle more then the chambering as it is in most cases.

Kirby Allen(50)

Wouldn the 180 nosler bst be a better choise than the accubond at long range slower speeds and preforme same at closer range?

fiftydriver i can't say it any better than you did thx man, im a 30-06 fan and whit today's rifles you can have a 1/2 MOA rifle in anycaliber so if you like the round pick up a good rifle, ofcurse if you have to make very long shoots i'll jump directly to a .338

I have seen no differnence between the Ballistic tip and Accubond as far as expansion at low velocity. Also never noticed a dramatic difference as far as how quickly the bullets expand to to what diameter.

The only difference I have seen is that the Accubond will expand to a certain point and then retain more weight. In some instances, the Ballistic tip will turn itself totally inside out and shed a good deal of its lead core, the Accubond will not do this.

I would say if there is any real difference, it would be seen at close range impacts, not long range.

Just what I have seen.

Kirby Allen(50)

Have used a 06 for target shooting past 800 yards
in local matches and then used the same rifle for
hunting with the same bullet all data was used for
both. Pick a bullet with a high BC, like speer 180 BT .540bc
The rifle is a tikka 22 inch barrel stainless with a mildot
scope that has come up knobs for windage and elevation.
This allows me to use the rifle to measure kill zones on
different animals to find range of target. Use information to
measure wind on site and different forums.
With RL-22 shoots a sub min [ less than 1/2 inch ] @ 2750 +fps.

I was at the range the other day with some friends and one was testing out his 30-06 with 165 grain ballistic tips. His second shot was at 2800 fps and the bullet completely exploded on the target at 100 yards. It literally splattered all over the target and left a shotgun like pattern with lead splattered around it. I have never seen anything like it before. I have heard horror story's of ballistic tips exploding on game at high velocities causing extreme damage but this was at a reasonable speed. I'll stick to partitions and accubonds.

you allso can try some loads whit 200 grs accubonds they have better bc and other choice is the e-tip bullet good bc too and much more weigth retention.

3006 is a good one for shooting out to 700 м. for big game. I would try 180 accubond or a-max 165 or 178.
As for optic, anyone with reliable turrets and magnification 10-15x will work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.