30-06 compressed loads

From Hodgdon online reload data
if you call ydanroH to ask em why .. they will probably ask what press you are using and blame it on you because its not red .. there is so much data in that book that is useless, i never rely on that book unless ive looked at 2 or 3 other data sources

when you talk to their tech support . just know, it is really just a professional liabilty deflector
2019 hodgdon-IMR book shows 56gr. start
Yes, I believe my older hornady manual says 60.5gns max
2019 Hodgdon-IMR book shows start @56gr. H4350 2792FPS and 62 gr. Compressed max for 150gr. Nos. BT 3068FPS .

I don't have any specific info on the load you are testing but my goal when loading is to have at or slightly over 100% case fill and 100% powder burn within the barrel.
All that to say don't be concerned about a 2% or so compressed load.
What I have found is by using the parameters listed above, I typically see very consistent velocities with low ES/SD.

H4350 and 150 grain bullets work fine, everyone has their opinions but if that's what you Have or what you want to shoot, go for it. When your dealing with compressed loads pay attention to what has already been said and that's a bullet backing out. I don't know much neck tension your resizing you're brass too but If your trying to keep it a .002 or so Then you'll only be able to compress a load so much before it backs out. One other thought is are you using a chrono graph? If you are and your getting the velocity your wanting you might be just fine a grain or two under max. Knowing your velocity can help you make a choice of when your at goal.

The difficulty may be someplace else in the reloading. OP did give correct current Hornady data. On checking in "Load Data" 62 grains appeared to be tops in several sources of data for 150gr. bullet. Using OP's load does not appear out of the ordinary.

That's then this is now. When I first started reloading Hornady appeared not to compress loads in their data.

If and I do mean "if", you are not experiencing pressure signs, use a drop tube and vibrate or tap the case to settle the powder. One of my previous loads with my AI, using a powder a bit too slow filled the case just short of the rim.....not the neck! I then seated, very slowly and carefully a 270 grain Barnes ( long, copper bullet). If seated fast.....it would bulge the case! I'll readily confess that this is a bit extreme. Getting an additional 2 to 4 grains of powder into the case, should be very doable!

Pretty much, every rifle load I have is somewhat compressed. Again, if all indicators show you are within safe pressures.....continue to work up "slowly"! memtb
270 gr 308 cal barnes?

Hodgdon's load data is showing 62.0grs of H 4350 with a 150gr Ballistic Tip.
Yes Sir , and they use Winchester brass and Win.LR primer

Wow, and I thought we were screaming 180 gr Partitions from our old Enfield with 59.0 - 60.0 gr of 4831. It is a compressed load and other than some serious recoil, we do not show signs of over pressure. The Enfield with a 1:8 twist (?) loves the heavier bullet and shoots slightly over MOA groups.
Enfieldgroup 180 gr.jpg

Hornady 11th edition lists 150 and 155 bullets with H4350 at a max load o 61.6grs COL 3.210. Remember that's with hornady brass.

Your brass may not have the volume the manuals expected. You might check a sample of what you have with fired primers and do a water volume test. Check that against different brass maufacturers. Know anyone with an '06 shooting different stuff?
I would play with fired vs sized brass too. Something don't compute.

Recent Posts