30-06 can still get it done

Echoing baldhunter on RL16 wlrm primer combo. This is the latest in my load development with Nosler 150's. Looking to get them tighter than # 4 in the last target
44ABE1AA-AD92-4236-9EF9-B176AD5D66EB.jpeg
2C97051E-7DE0-4C8A-BE87-2845F2DDB31E.jpeg
CD1E9CAD-7917-499E-A83F-FA63D5E1E26A.jpeg

I really think you are pushing the limits of the 30-06. If you want to consistently be effective out past 500 yards on game you really need a magnum of some sort. 300 rum is my preference, but something 300 win and above is ideal.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but I'm sorry to tell you that you are incorrect, study up on the the 30-06 and see what you find, No disrespect intended

Last edited:
I have never bought H4895 or varget. New powders have some outstanding qualities. I test on hot days so I know that I won't have a future problem. CFE 223 just doesn't have the speed with heavier bullets. putting in the listed max it was still 100 fps slower than under loaded 2000 MR in both 18 and 20 barrels with rifle length gas systems. I don't own shorter barrels to test.

I like shooting for groups far enough away that I can't see the holes in the paper. That way you are not correcting your aim point. I shoot at a little dot and don't know how the group was until you retrieve the target. 200 yards is a good distance

The accuracy of the 75 is very good. It is made for long distance shooting. Some of the bullets went through the same hole
Been in this LR rifle game for a few years and love it. Love building new rifles, new cartridges that love to stretch the tape measure. I came from a hunting tradition and the "Up North" mentality. We headed up north to do all our hunting and recreational activities. We all shot factory rifles with no customizing and no reloading. Off shelf ammo and nothing fancy. Accuracy was always first however and still is. Few years ago I decided to hunt with my old woods deer guns that I grew up using. The 308, 30-06, .270 were most of what we used. Remington 742s, 760s. Browning BAR's or Winchester 100s. These were our Northwoods deer guns. It brought back the old memories again slinging the short semi auto over my shoulder heading out to my stand. Awkward somewhat as it's been a long time since I've shot any of them. I Killed an 8 pointer at around 125 yards with a 180 grain 06 round. Ammo that has been in the safe since the 70s. It brought back my earlier years for sure. Today I think I've evolved to the rifles I use today and will predominantly shoulder them. It was nice to step back a bit and haul the old woods relic into the deer blind and harvest a deer with it. That's what this thread brings back. The old 30-06 will never leave the memories of those of us that toted one for years and or still does.
Yes, I know what you mean. I grew up with those rounds, a couple of years ago I bought a 760 in '06 to hunt some of my stands that are in the woods. Most people don't know how well a 760 will shoot, the barrel free floats and same barrel quality as old M700's. They are not long range rifles but anywhere from in your face to 400 yds. is certainly in your grasp. I am thinking of selling it soon but it has been fun.

Thanks for sharing the information on the '06. The vegetative state of the "background" has me curious about the crop status on the field with the dead corn stubble this time of year.

I will never get rid of old faithful .06. Win mod 70. I gave up hunting for about 10yrs after twins were born. Then one day come home from long week out on the road the wife says were going to town drags me In to pawn shop and says does this work. Why yes, yes it does. Cant complain been good rifle still going.
I have two customs but they are a little heavy to carry very far through the woods my model 70 in 3006 is what I've called my meat stick for 25 years now

My first .06 was a 700 BDL. It got it done alright! I'm sure there's plenty of you guys that can relate to listening to the trash talk at deer camp - Dads and uncles arguing over the .30-06 and the .270! Well, I had to be careful picking my first rifle, that's for sure! It was the .06. Shot my first deer with it and then a few years later, a nice Western PA Bruin. Then, I turned into a girlie man and bought a .243 for whitetail. I never looked back but still have a soft spot for the Sprg.

Thanks for sharing the information on the '06. The vegetative state of the "background" has me curious about the crop status on the field with the dead corn stubble this time of year.
When in soy beans this particular farmer doesn't plant the outside rows that run alongside the mountain. Saves the seeds for the rest of the field where the deer have to travel further out into the field, this allowing us to get a shot. They bite the soy beans off flush with the ground when they are a few days old and the beans never grow back from that.

Thats fine be as speculative as you like. I have all the paper work necessary to back me up on this process and am randomly visited by my wildlife officer friends. Including kill logs for all animals taken, estimated age, weight rounded up in 10lb increments, and sex. Few people get these permits. Those of us that do dot our Is and cross all Ts.

By trying to be succinct as possible with my remark, I could see how you could take it after I read your response. Didn't mean for you to take it as speculative as far as the control is concerned, i could have used better word choice. I was just curious from an agronomy stand point based on the state of field corn and sweet corn grown in the coastal plain, including what I've planted. Good shooting and thanks for sharing the information.

My
By trying to be succinct as possible with my remark, I could see how you could take it after I read your response. Didn't mean for you to take it as speculative as far as the control is concerned, i could have used better word choice. I was just curious from an agronomy stand point based on the state of field corn and sweet corn grown in the coastal plain, including what I've planted. Good shooting and thanks for sharing the information.
10-4. My appologies

I like the latest whizz-bang, high BC, VLD, 40 degree shoulder, rebated rim, no wait, belted... aw, whatever it is as much as anyone else on this forum. BUT. I've never lost sight of the fact that the 30-03 and its immediate successor the 30-06 were originally intended to break a cavalry charge on the field of battle. If it could do that, it can do anything I might need it to do.

Alwas been a 7mag fan but the Tikka altra lite in 30-06 although not on my fun gun list is easy to carry and flat out shoots with imr4831 and 168 Amaxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.