30-06 can still get it done

1894C

A great many local farmers have trouble every year with deer destroying their beans. Especially those near mountains. Our wildlife officers give out permits to those who have this trouble and many come to me to help. I have used many different rifles this year. I have several custom building like a 308, a 7wsm, 7rum and a 300wby but I try to keep rounds off my custom barrels so every once in a while I bring one of the stock guns to stretch its legs. This evening I broke out a bone stock sako A7 rough tech pro with a leupold vx5 3-15x44. I have shot this rifle on paper out to 1000 with 190 Bergers propelled by RL16 and it does very very well. But the farthest I had ever used it on game was 443 yards. This evening I took 5 does this this rifle between 224 and 721 yards being the longest poke. @ 721 yards my 190 Berger impacted with 1802 FPS and 1370 FT LBS. The doe went straight down. This is proof in my mind that you don't have to have a Proof barreled defiance action in a manners and a 6.5 whatever with a $3000 glass to cleanly and ethically play the long range game. A 30-06 loaded to mag length with 190 Bergers will get it done.
AF14F617-E251-4D1F-A2BA-1FD515832DED.jpeg

Last edited:
A great many local farmers have trouble every year with deer destroying their beans. Especially those near mountains. Our wildlife officers give out permits to those who have this trouble and many come to me to help. I have used many different rifles this year. I try to keep rounds off my custom barrels so every once in a while I bring one of the stock guns to stretch its legs. This evening I broke out a bone stock sako A7 rough tech pro with a leupold vx5 3-15x44. I have shot this rifle on paper out to 1000 with 190 Bergers propelled by RL16 and it does very very well. But the farthest I had ever used it on game was 443 yards. This evening I took 5 does this this rifle between 224 and 721 yards being the longest poke. @ 721 yards my 190 Berger impacted with 1802 FPS and 1370 FT LBS. The doe went straight down. This is proof in my mind that you don't have to have a Proof barreled defiance action in a manners and a 6.5 whatever with a $3000 glass to cleanly and ethically play the long range game. A 30-06 loaded to mag length with 190 Bergers will get it done.View attachment 204929
Yep

When you start loading for the 30-06 and playing with the different powders and bullets,you learn very quickly to appreciate just how good the 30-06 really is.I also have the Sako A7 Big Game.My favorite load for it is 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip,Win case,WLRM or Federal Magnum Match primers(Win gives me about 7fps more velocity),57.0grs Reloader-16.
20191212_125308.jpg

Great shot! No doubt about it, 30-06 has been doing the job for quite a while. I've hunted soy bean fields in MS with my cousin (coincidentally with a 30-06) and shot my first buck that way (146 yards).

How big is your freezer?! Haha. That soy bean deer was the least gamey tasting deer I've ever had. They don't have to work hard at all for food.

And finally, I'm in Northern AL, and if you ever need help, I'm happy to volunteer my services and time. Always happy to support farmers! It's a tough business to be in lately.

Last edited:
To answer your topic thread title, the venerable .30-06 has always done it as long as chambering limitations on the wild game at POI (bullet selection, velocity, energy, shot placement, etc ...) are factored in. The "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor.

Did you say, "The nuts behind the trigger!??":eek:;)😂 Right now building another Ruger 77 in 30-06, 26 inch Lilja barrel, blue printed action, trigger job (maybe Timney), bed/pillar bed the stock and then refinish the wood. Also putting one together for my son as a Christmas present, same set up, but....he wants a 300 WinMag so.......that's what is getting put together.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.