30-06 Barrel Contour / Length

SwampFox3006

I'm an experienced shooter, but a newby to customised rifle builds. Have begun spec'ing out a Rem 700 w/ 30-06 action; the goal is top-notch long range accuracy (500 - 1,000 yd.). I know that proper action truing / bedding, barrel grade, etc. are critical considerations; and wish to focus this discussion on selecting the right barrel contour and length, for maximum performance and consistency with the 30-06 round.

A couple of important notes:
I'll be running factory loads through the weapon; am not set up for custom reloading. At this point, my ballistics research has steered me to these two rounds; but I welcome thoughts on other options:
1) Federal Premium, Trophy Bonded® Tip, Vital-Shok, P3006TT4
2) Hornady SST® Superformance®, 81183

The stock, which should arrive soon, will be a Manners Remington 700 MCS T (Monte Carlo Style); which accepts anything Up to a #8 Barrel. This leads me to another question - is a #8 Straight Taper barrel also called a Bull Barrel?

The stock will have a Pachmyer Decel pad installed and, to minimize recoil, I am seriously considering having a Muzzle Break installed as well. Again, I welcome performance related comments on this plan (I know it will be loud!).

Thanks, in advance, for any advice...

My original post covered a lot of ground; but mainly to provide some detail on what I have to work with. After reading it again, thought I should be more clear about what I need advice on - selecting the right barrel for this application (500 + yds.), so here goes:

1) In terms of length, is there a "sweet spot" for the 30-06 round?
2) Regarding contour, would a Straight Taper be more consistent than a Sporter/Varmint/Palma?

Having fun is kinda expensive; just hoping to make an educated decision and get the best "bang 4 my buck"...
cool.png

What is the intended purpose of the rifle? Is a range rifle exclusively? The 06' can be VERY accurate with an 18-20" barrel, and also, very accurate with a 26", with the added benefit of being able to take advantage of some of the modern powders. A #8 is a "Heavy Target" profile, quite substantial. As far as consistency. That will come with a combination of things creating a "situation" your gun likes. Case, powder, primer, projectile, barrel, bedding, trigger all go into that pot. I have seen some very consistent rifles with light taper barrels and sporter stocks.

Different barrel companies have different numbers for their barrel sizes.
Shilen size #17 is a Remington varmint/Sendero size that is .830 at the muzzle of a 24" barrel. Shilen #6 lightweight target is .750 at the muzzle 26" barrel. #8 is a heavy bull that is 1" at the muzzle 26" barrel. Go to the barrel company you choose and see the specks for the barrel you want.

Unless you are going to be hand loading your ammo you are not going to be very happy trying to shoot 500+ yards. Factory ammo just can't cut it. For those long ranges you need you some 190 to 210 gr Berger bullets and a barrel as long as you can manage to utilize everything you can get out of the powder.

Most eights are serious heavy. If you want to carry it I would go with a 5 in 308 caliber. You could probably do a fluted six but no heavier for a carrying rifle. I personally in 3006 would go 24 inches 5 gun)contour(lilja, krieger,Others etc.)

I put together a 30-06 couple years ago using a pre 64 model 70 receiver and a Brux barrel. The barrel has a #5 contour and is finished at 25.5. This is the 3rd barrel on this receiver. One at 24 one at 22 and the one I just mentioned. I don't know where the "sweet" spot would be as they all preformed well. This Brux with a 1/10 twist shoots the best so far.

I have been testing Reloader 17 with Nosler 200gr Accubond and have it shooting pretty good at 2715fps. I kinda backed off and am waiting for the new 190gr Accubond due out in the spring 2013. If you want to shoot out to 500 yards and beyond its the heavy bullets you want to use and that almost requires reloading if you want to be really accurate.

The rifle with the Win receiver Brux barrel and McMillan Adj HTG stock fully loaded with scope and strap is just shy of 12.75 lbs. I can't see using a brake on a 30-06 with a similar weight unless medium to light recoil is a factor.

SWAMP- IS this for targets?? go to rifleman'sblog. many articles and extensive tests on shooting th 30-06 at long range. make no mistake- a krieger barrel at least 26" is a place to start. i say the fatter the better. also a great trigger and scope. shooting enough at long range to become good will require reloading. i love the 30-06 and have (5), more of those than any other caliber. for 500-1000 in a dedicated rifle i would go with a 300 mag. the wind here is challenging.

Swampfox.....As others have asked; is this for target or hunting? This may well help you decide on barrel contour. An 'o6 will gain approx. 40 fps for each inch of barrel length depending on load. If you are only choosing between the two factory loads that you mentioned, The SST's will probably out perform the trophy bonded bullets for either target or hunting beyond 500 yards as they are usually more accurate and will expand better at lower velocities. They also buck the wind better with the higher b.c. I would go with a 10 twist as it will stabilize anything you would probably shoot in an '06. ........Rich

The intended use for this weapon is long-range hunting; of course, number of rounds chambered will be significantly higher at the range. If the question is focused on handling / stability, it will have a 'pod' on the fore-end; to help hit the target at longer ranges.

On the other hand, carry-weight could factor into the decision; as I'm no "spring chicken" (I can actually remember the 1960's)... :cool:

Thanks for all the advice so far; very helpful !!!

Excellent! So now it is a question of what you will be hunting. For example, your max range for a deer sized animal will be farther than a moose or elk sized animal. Have a look at the rifles Len builds. They are experience and purpose built. It will give you an idea of barrel profiles that are proven winners, and portable in the field. I have a #4 on my current rig, kinda wish I had gone #3 after toting it around last season. But, I dont see 1000 yard shots.

25 inches , #4 contour, 10 twist, what I would do. Since factory ammo is going to be used I don't think going with a longer barrel will be much of an advantage. As a carry rifle length and contour should be comfortable to deal with and still handle nice. My first centerfire was an "06 ( 14 years old at the time) have 3 in the cabinet, still hunt with one occasionally, the round can do a lot. Am in agreement with another poster if long range is what you want to do, go with 300wm. With a good brake, rifle can be built light enough to be pack around and still be pleasant to shoot. Along that line I'd go with 26" #4.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts