.30-06 auto powder

Robinhood493

What powder would yall recommend for a .30-06 automatic rifle shooting 150g Nosler Partitions? I was gonna use H4350, but I was reading that powder is too slow for auto's to cycle properly.

Robinhood493,

What rifle are we talking about here? That'll make a huge difference, and the various 4350s may not be a problem at all for you. I suspect that you're saying this due to hearing about the powder limitations for reloading 30-06 ammo for the M1 Garand? If so, please understand that the limitations there are due to the rifles's design, not the caliber. The M1 was set up to function with standard USGI ammunition, loaded with anywhere from 150 to 173 grain bullets, using powders not slower than 4895 or 4064. In other rifles with different gas systems, a slower powder may not be an issue at all.

So, which rifle are we talking about?

Robinhood493,

What rifle are we talking about here? That'll make a huge difference, and the various 4350s may not be a problem at all for you. I suspect that you're saying this due to hearing about the powder limitations for reloading 30-06 ammo for the M1 Garand? If so, please understand that the limitations there are due to the rifles's design, not the caliber. The M1 was set up to function with standard USGI ammunition, loaded with anywhere from 150 to 173 grain bullets, using powders not slower than 4895 or 4064. In other rifles with different gas systems, a slower powder may not be an issue at all.

So, which rifle are we talking about?

Remington 742 woodsmaster

Different gas system entirely, but unfortunately, one that I've personally never loaded for. I'd suspect that it would do fine with the 4350s, as it doesn't have the full length op rod that was the M1's Achilles heel when it came to slow powders. For what it's worth, I've never heard any warnings concerning the 742s, or Remington's other autoloaders regarding handloading powder selection.

Might ask around a bit more and see if there's anyone on the boards here that has loaded with the Rem 742.

The 742 is one you don't want to push too hard... but it'll do a great job for you if you load for it right.

The factory loads that Remington and others have been putting out for the last few decades tend to run on the hot side. There are LOTS of damaged 742's out there... and parts to repair them are nearly (if not) non-existent.

This link may be of interest for you... Remington 740/742/7400* Semi-Aut

We have a 742 in the family (wife's grandfather's)... and it's still in great shape, though it's not been shot much over the years. We are basically planning to load for it like you would an old M1 Garand (as Kevin mentions)... not for the same reasons, per se, but to keep pressures down, and to lower the stress on the action.

A good 150 grain bullet pushed by IMR 4895 at around 48 grains (tweak that charge up or down a grain for accuracy) should make your 742 a happy camper, and it'll still bring home the deer, no problem. :) About 47 grains of 4064 with a 150 grain bullet would be another option worth considering, it's a mild load (Hodgdon's starting load), but should be quite accurate... Winchester or Remington brass, by the way...

I would not use factory loads in the 742... they're practically all using heavy charges of slower powders, and that's not what you want.

Dan

Would go to a forum like the M-14 Fourm, M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles
They have information on the M-1 loading IMR-4895 and IMR 4064 would think that the powders in this burn rate would be safe for your rifle but would inter information on a seach engine like google as to your needs.....
Had a 742 in 308 and used factory ammo with no problems.
Save an email to Nosler and ask what they think.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.