.30-06 and hammer bullets

CA Mule deer

Attachments

• bbbbddddeeer.jpg
    bbbbddddeeer.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 169
Thank You Wedgy.
I think I will use that 130 SH.
Now I just need to choose powder ,maybe N540?
What primers for that combo magnum or?

Looking to get a load developed for my Kimber 30-06. Wanting to use Hammer bullets. Big game and ringing steel. Suggested bullet and weight?
Currently its prefers 180 grain ammo. Havent had much luck with 150 or 165 grain factory ammo but I havent tried a monometal bullet in it yet.
twist rate is 1-10"
This will be my first time using a new reloading setup but my mentor is a life long reloader and is walking me through it. So i will have something resembling adult supervision.
Thanks,
pilsner

Last edited:
Pilsner,
Welcome to loading Hammers.
Has your mentor ever loaded Hammers before? They are very different from lead cup & core.
If the answer is no, both of you need to do some reading first. Go to the Hammertime Forum and look under Reloading. Several good articles on developing a Hammer load and how to load them.
Most run much lighter bullets at much higher velocity. 180s are probably way too heavy, but you do you.
Be sure to scrub your barrel down to clean metal before beginning loading hammers. Get all prior fouling out of your barrel.
Also, for your reference, go to Hammer Hunter Load Data ( or Absolute data) on this Forum or Hammertime. You'll be surprised at the velocities you can achieve😄

Pilsner,
Welcome to loading Hammers.
Has your mentor ever loaded Hammers before? They are very different from lead cup & core.
If the answer is no, both of you need to do some reading first. Go to the Hammertime Forum and look under Reloading. Several good articles on developing a Hammer load and how to load them.
Most run much lighter bullets at much higher velocity. 180s are probably way too heavy, but you do you.
Be sure to scrub your barrel down to clean metal before beginning loading hammers. Get all prior fouling out of your barrel.
Also, for your reference, go to Hammer Hunter Load Data ( or Absolute data) on this Forum or Hammertime. You'll be surprised at the velocities you can achieve😄
Any recommendations on which weight of the hammer hunters to buy? Ordering today.
I know he works with monometal bullets frequently but I dont know about Hammers in specific.
Thanks for the forum info - we shall get our load data from there.

Any recommendations on which weight of the hammer hunters to buy? Ordering today.
I know he works with monometal bullets frequently but I dont know about Hammers in specific.
Thanks for the forum info - we shall get our load data from there.
Steve @ Hammer sells sample packs of 15 or so. Hammers are so easy to develop a load, you should find pressure in your rifle and a good grouping load within 12 shots. Once you find what your rifle likes best, you can order a bigger quantity.
Many find great results with 124 and the "new" 137gr bullets in 30 cal. Both are good for up to elk sized animals!
When you finish, post your rifle and load particulars and they'll be included in the spreadsheets.
Good luck!

Got 200 rounds of 160 grain Hammer Hunters enroute. Now we wait... impatiently.
The 160gr Hunters will work well for you. If I can give you some advice, start with the Hunter line of bullets first. Once you get a grasp of hand loading them, then you can try the Absolute line. Use the spreadsheet that GLTaylor has graciously spent many hours amassing and logging all of the load data from the Hammer Bullet shooters. It's a very valuable resource for everyone. You've got questions?? Just ask!! The guys on this forum are great and will gladly help you out.
Just FYI, I shoot the 162gr Absolute Hammer in my 30-06. I used to shoot the 166gr Hunter.
If you want to go further down the rabbit hole, spend some time on the Hammer Bullets website and it's forum called Hammer Time.

Recent Posts