.30-06 and hammer bullets

So I noticed magnum primers are suggested on the Hammer website. Is this also the case for the 30-06?
We do like the mag primers. It gives the bullet a quicker start into the lands to get the pressure started. The drive band design doesn't have as much engraving pressure as conventional lead core bullets. We have done some good loads with standard large rifle primers, but the mag primers seem to give better consistency.

Unless I'm trying to stomp a Cape buffalo, I'll probably never use Barnes. I was left unimpressed after using them for a season out of my 243. Figured that 80gr TTSX moving fast would give it some extra punch....it didn't. Killed a deer, hog and coyote. Deer and hog were shot through the lungs, both had weak blood trails from what I remembered back when I used the 95gr ballistic silver tips.

Unless I'm trying to stomp a Cape buffalo, I'll probably never use Barnes. I was left unimpressed after using them for a season out of my 243. Figured that 80gr TTSX moving fast would give it some extra punch....it didn't. Killed a deer, hog and coyote. Deer and hog were shot through the lungs, both had weak blood trails from what I remembered back when I used the 95gr ballistic silver tips.

Seems insufficient exit wounds are normal for Barnes. I shot a couple animals and each time the exit was the size of a quarter and no blood. The animals did expire on the spot though.

Seems insufficient exit wounds are normal for Barnes. I shot a couple animals and each time the exit was the size of a quarter and no blood. The animals did expire on the spot though.

My coyote DRT but was very little blood on the ground.My deer did 60-70 semi circle, luckily he didn't have much of a choice where he could run. Had to follow the bank of this dry creek bed, Good 5ft sheer drop off. Trail would open up then be dry for a ways. I wouldn't have sweated it had i had another set of eyes or it not have been late evening.The hog, had it made it further up in the brush I likely wouldn't have found it.

I noticed a difference in the trails with my 458 socom using 300gr TTSX and 260gr CEB Maximus.

What You think is better combo.
Bergara single shot rifle (no magazine)in 3006 20" long ,twist is 10"
Up to 200y 300y but 95% under 100y.
Game is from fox to wild boar to red deer.
With 152 Shock or 166 Shock hammer?

I know.
But i dont know in 20" what is doable.
I would use norma or lapua cases ,vitavouri powder (I am hard thinking about N555)

I know.
But i dont know in 20" what is doable.
I would use norma or lapua cases ,vitavouri powder (I am hard thinking about N555)
With the lighter bullets I would think you want a faster powder than N555. I would also change to the 130 grain bullet. I run a Barnes 130TTSX at ~3,300 with Varget in my girlfriends 30-06 with a 22" barrel, you could probably push the Hammer a little faster than the Barnes. When I run out of the TTSX I will switch the Hammers.
BTW Varget is a very temp stable powder.

Interesting
I was thinking that 130 is a bit light but I am willing to try.
Any big game experience whit it?

Roughwater,
Don't feel like you are all alone.
I've gone to Hammers in all 4 of my hunting rifles. Gonna start with Hammers when #5 is done in May.

Attachments

• 20200409_162348.jpg
    20200409_162348.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 106