30-06 - am I too fast?

tlk

Loaded by brass with 58.4 gr of h4350, hitting 2996 fps avg. Groups are very good at this point. No pressure signs at all, and everything seems to come together for the rife right there. I have talked to a couple of guys that are bench shooters and they get these huge eyes when they see the data, and say that is very fast for this caliber.

What gives? Is there something here I dont know that I should?

I'm hoping that's a 110, or a 125 at most????? You may reach this with a 150, but that'll be pushing it a bit in most guns. Have you checked your chronograph? Could be a screen spacing issue.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Here are the load specs:

58.4 gr H4350
165 gr SGK
CCI large rifle primer
Lapua brass

No sticky bolt, no primer cratering, nothing. Kicks like a freaking mule though (and I have been kicked by a mule).

I will check the chrony and use another one to verify the data.

TLK

A quick check of the Sierra Manual (5th edition) shows you to be about 4.0 grains over their listed max. You're about .5 grain over Hornady's max, but that is a different bullet, of course. Hard to say without actually seeing the brass, but I'd be inclined to back this down a bit. At the very least, it'll cut that recoil back a tad. Just watch your pressure signs, and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin, will do.

This all came about from doing some load testing. At the 58.0 grain max I am still at 2983 fps avg. , so the speed delta is not that big. HOWEVER - the ES was the issue: At 58.4 I got 6 fps ES!! At 58.0 I got 18.3. Both got fairly good groups, around a half inch. All the way to this load we were watching for pressure signs - nothing.

I will jack it down to the next best of 58.0. Stil will re-chrony it.

Specs:

large ring mauser action (squared/trued, including bolt)
Shaw heavy sporter barrel - 26", 1 in 10.
I can get you chamber dims later today. Can tell you it was cut with a Pacific Tool reamer.
Let me know if this is what you were asking about.

I have hit that velocity area with a 165 gr bullet in an '06, but it was with a much slower powder. Couse all guns are different, but you might heed the advice already given.

I only asked because some custom actions don't always show all the normal pressure signs, like sticky bolt lift. You have to be more careful about watching velocities.

I think checking another chrony would be a good idea. Let us know when you do.

Steve

My nosler manual lists 57.5 grains with a variety of their bullets. The manuals keep test pressures below 60,000PSI in the 06 so you have a little room for error provided that mauser action is safe to 65,000 psi like most bolt actions. The 26 inch barrel is buying you around 30 to 50 fps over the 24 inch barrel lengths listed in the manuals also. Unless you see pressure signs that velocity does not seem extreme.

ran some #'s for you on quikload. dont know your COAL, but based on not loading on the lands with the previously mentioned powder charge and bullet you are at a pressure of 56003psi, velocity of 2966fps out of a 26" barrel.
i used coal of 3.340

Loaded by brass with 58.4 gr of h4350, hitting 2996 fps avg. Groups are very good at this point. No pressure signs at all, and everything seems to come together for the rife right there. I have talked to a couple of guys that are bench shooters and they get these huge eyes when they see the data, and say that is very fast for this caliber.

What gives? Is there something here I dont know that I should?

With out knowing your COL and the water grain capacity of your spent but unsized brass the model isn't as good as it could be, but using a COL of 3.33", 26" barrel, your load, and the default brass capacity, my QuickLoad model predicts 2,969 fps which is in the ballpark and within normal analytical error for velocity predictions (I use H4350 in my .30-06 as well). The peak pressure from the model is 56,269 psi which is around 2,470 psi below max for the cartridge. This is at 70F. So, for what it's worth, while it's a warm load, the model doesn't show it over pressure.

It may also be that your brass, like mine, has a couple of water grains more capacity than the default that is in QuickLoad. That would both lower pressure and result in a lower predicted muzzle velocity. If your COL is shorter than the 3.33" I used, it would result in both higher predicted pressure and slightly higher predicted muzzle velocity.

BRW: Sounds like a nice rifle.

Trublue,

We ended up with pretty near identical results. I didn't see your post before I posted mine.

Fitch

Last edited:
Sorry to interject as this is not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but by pure fluke, I tried IMR 4320 powder in an '06 and with 53 grns I'm getting 2980 fps with the 165 SGK. This is with a 22" barrel, no signs of over pressure and has been shot over several chronies. Each had a slight difference in velocities but mine seemed to be on par with the others, so at least on the surface it doesn't sound like you are too over the top with your load. Just keep an eye on your pressure signs and watch your primer pockets during reloading and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.