30-06 ai

SamuelBerryhill308

I've been reading up on 30-06 ai and was wanting to know if it was really worth having my rifle chamber for it over my factory 30-06? Also what are the pros and cons of doing so if any thanks. Not sure if I posted in right spot if not please move thanks

The .30-06 Ackley will gain you 50-80fps with the same pressures as the .30-06. The pros are you'll gain velocity and with Ackley cartridges you trim brass less often. The cons are the costs of the reamer, gunsmith service, dies, and components needed to fireform. Also the fire forming takes up time and barrel life. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I'm personally just not a fan of the work and extra costs needed to gain minimal velocity at the same pressures.

The question is too subjective. All AI cartridges do is change case dimensions to allow more powder space - thus higher velocities. Whether it's worth it to you, I can't say.
I don't own any AI chambered guns because higher velocities can be achieved by moving up in case capacity via another readily available cartridge. In this case (30.06), a 300 wsm or 300 wm gets you all the extra fps without getting exotic and extra work. There's probably a few cartridges that truly benefit from AI, but I'd put the emphasis on "Few".
BTW...I would never consider rechambering a factory barrel... because it's like the turd in a tuxedo analogy.

Build a 300 Sherman. Its similar to an A. I. but more of it. We use a 270 or 280 case to form the 300 and move the shoulder forward to gain more capacity. It also has less body taper than the A. I. which further increases capacity. It still has a nice long neck (.317")
This cartridge will run with a wsm at 2950 with a 215.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.