30-06 Ackley ???

demarpaint

Hi:

I have been thinking about this for a while now and seem to be leaning toward the 30-06 in an Ackley Improved chambering. Cheap brass, longer barrel life etc. I was thinking about building it from a Savage Bolt Action, and I would like a long barrel. Anyone have any comments about the cartridge, barrel length (longest possible for maximum velocity), and its effectiveness to 1000 yards for targets.

Thanks
Frank D

I have one built on a 98 action. Never intended to use it for LR target but that's what I'm loading it for. Really like the cartridge, but it's a real dog compaired to todays hot rods like the RUMs. I'm getting 2900fps with 190-210gr bullets. Likes I-4350.
Good Shooting,
db

Refer to my post on the 30 Gibbs. The improved 30-06 is a great cartridge as is the Gibbs. Will get you similar performance to the RSAUM.

Check out the data in the Nosler #5. Great reference.

I would suggest the longest barrel you can use. Why not get some "free" vel. For a carry gun, 26" is optimum. My Gibbs is slightly longer at 26 1/2" and it will spit out 165gr SST at 3000fps (3100fps max). Accuracy is about 1/3MOA at 250yds.

This will be my carry LR rig. At under 10lbs, it will make packing into cut blocks easy.

H4350 has been a real good powder for my '06 and the Gibbs. Would be my first choice to recommend. Get the Extreme stuff and it should be worry free with regards to temp. changes.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.