30.06 ackley - anyone tried it?

BLD

I was reading about this cartridge and was curious if anyone uses it. How does it compare to the standard 30.06 up to the 300wsm?

Have seen them shoot and shoot well. Velocity with a 190 JLK or Berger was around 2850 in a 26 inch barrel

I have a 30 gibbs which is a highly improved version of 30-06. I believe that is holds a bit more powder than the AI . I get 3012fps with 190gr SMK out of a 30in barrel.

I've gotten 3020 fps w/175 Matchkings in a 26" bbl w/groups just under MOA. Mine seems to shoot best (.75 moa) at max 06 (about 2800 fps) velocities. Haven't tried the 190's yet cause they didn't do too well in my 308.

I shoot and hunt with a 30 Gibbs. With a 26" match barrel, performance is very similar to the RSAUM. With 165gr SST and H4350, I am getting very accurate shooting at 3000fps.

I set the chamber up with a short throat and with this barrel, I shoot clays at 700yds and 9X9 gong at 1000m.

I call this my long skinny magnum.

Jerry

Guys,

I have a model 70 classic in 30-06 and am looking for some more punch without changing too much. I am going to talk to my gunsmith and see if he can re-chamber this one for me. Can I go to the 30 Gibbs and still use my brass? Do you have some recipes to start with?

I really appreciate the info!

The Gibbs is a true wildcat. The parent case has to be modified in order to work. Best to start with new brass as the shoulder has to be relocated.

The process is simple. Neck up to 338, neck back down to 30 just enough to form a second shoulder on the neck. Size down so that chambering requires firm pressure to close bolt. Using 15 to 17gr of HP38/Win 231 under cream of wheat filled to the base of the neck, fire using any LR Reg. primer. I usually put a piece of paper towel in the neck to keep everything in place.

This will form the brass to 95%. The next full pressure load will create the nice sharp shoulders. Brass life is good and rarely needs trimming. Performance should be similar to the RSAUM with mid weight bullets.

I have found H4350 and CCI BR2 primers to work great with 165gr Hornady SST bullets. Brass has ranged from Fed, Win, and LC69. In my rifle, 3000fps is very accurate and 3100fps is definitely max.

To size, I knock the primers out with a Lee decapping die, then size using a Lee Collet neck die in 308Win and a spacer. Bullets are seated using a Forster BR 308Win die. When the cases get too stiff to chamber, I toss them.

I think you will really like it...

Jerry

I know someone who has the Ackley. Out runs my Springfield 30.06 by 150-200 f.p.s. depending on loads and bullets. Accuracy is real good and this is a fine wildcat improvement to an already fine cartridge. Good Luck!

Jerry

I was able to just take the 30/06 brass,run it in the 30 Gibbs die to resize the neck, seat the bullet so it was touching the lands and pushing the base of the case back against the bolt face when I chambered it.
I used the reloading book minimum powder charge for the 30/06 and it firformed perfectly.

Have had 3 or 4 30 Gibbs guns and they all shot well. One nice thing about the Gibbs shoulder is, it's 35 degree and not 40 degree like the Ackleys. Brass seems to last a long time.

Later
DC

Have shot a 06 AI for some time. Cases are easy to form and stretch has not been a problem. The JLKs are great LD bullets and the Sierra 180s shoot well too. As with the standard 06, I like I-4350 best and use F-215s to ignite it. 210 JLK moly with 57.5gr for 2760fps. The 190s with 59.0gr come in at 2900fps.
This Ackley is very close to the 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM.
Good Shooting,
db

DC, thanks for the feedback. I decided to use the COW method of fireforming to save the cost and recoil of shooting bullets.

My combo runs pressure pretty hot so case stretching (base) occurs with 6 to 8 firings. I find that very acceptable and don't bother resizing. When they don't chamber easily, I pitch them.

Like you, I never need to trim my brass. I am very happy with this wildcat. Feeding is a little rougher then with the '06 and sloping shoulders, but I can live with that.

Good stuff...

Jerry

I've been shooting the 06AI for about 8 years, And next to my .375 H&H AI it's my favorite cartridge. I currently use 52.5 gr Varget behind a 172gr solid, lake city 1967 brass with cci br4 mag primer to get 3050fps as my pet load. I get an e.s. of about 45 with the varget (wish it were better) but I can live with it. It shoots into a minute all the way down the range to 1100yd, but with imr 4831 and win lrm primers I got better groups (sub 8 at 1000m one out of three times-the other 2 were probably just me!
grin.gif
) but only about 2960 before it opened up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.