30-06 (22 in. or 24 inch barrel)

Waynard

Hunting out to 500 yards does a 24 inch barrel have much over a 22 inch barrel. I'll be using hand loads, 165 gr. Sierra B. T. going about 2850 fps. That is out of the 22 inch barrel. I know if I went with a 24 inch barrel Rifle I could get about 100 fps more. Would it be worth the investment to buy another 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel?

Hunting out to 500 yards does a 24 inch barrel have much over a 22 inch barrel. I'll be using hand loads, 165 gr. Sierra B. T. going about 2850 fps. That is out of the 22 inch barrel. I know if I went with a 24 inch barrel Rifle I could get about 100 fps more. Would it be worth the investment to buy another 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel?

2" of bbl. will not change much-- 50 fps or so.... step up to a 300win if you think you need more.

I have a 22" barrel on my .270 and I use it for the same thing you are going to be doing. I would prefer a 26" barrel though with a sporter weight contour just so it wouldn't jump as much when it sits in the bags, but that's just me.

A 30-06 can benefit from every inch of barrel you can give it, but you can get done everything you need to do at 500 yards with a 22", and farther for that matter. Check out MontanaMarines post and what he does with a 20" and 22" barrels.

Just use the search feature in the right hand corner, and type his name and it should take you there. Heck just type 22" 30-06 and it should give you tons of info

Checked out Montana Marines post, really inpressed. He went thru some extensive work to post all that info.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.