3 rifles, what's the best buy?

goose

I'm looking at another rifle, I'll start with what I want out of it.

I'm looking for:
a claiber that uses std large rifle primers, which I have a good supply of
I would like good brass life and barrel life
It would be used for long range coyotes and a back up rifle for deer

The rifle it will replace is a 6mm remington, and my other rifle is 7mm RM. The 3 rifles I looked at are all at the same store and are Savage or Stevens. My plan is the use the gun as-is for 1-5 years and eventually build something off the action with the same use in mind, but most likely a different caliber perhaps 6x47 lapua or similar. I'm looking to get started as cheap as possible, but willing to pay a little more for some features.

Here they are:

New stevens 200 in .270 priced at $299
New Savage 111 in 25-06 with accutrigger $379
Used stevens short action in .308 which looked like new priced at $189

My first thought was 25-06, as the best fit for replacing the 6mm rem, however it's the most expensive. I do have dies for 25-06 which would save a few bucks.

No major advantages come to mind for the .270 other than a new gun for $80 less than the savage, although a standard trigger. It seems too much of an overlap with the 7mmRM I already have

I didn't originally want a short action, but the .308 seems very cheap. I could upgrade the trigger for the same price as the others. Will having a short action be a dissadvantage for future builds? I know it will limit my choices, but for the game I am seeking, there are many capable calibers.

My 2 cents would be to go with the savage 25-06. For years the 25-06 was known as on of the best, if not the best coyote calibers. It has since moved up to being well known as a do all caliber. I know several guys that use it as their trusty everyday deer, elk, coyote rifle.

The beauty of a savage rifles is, it does not matter which caliber you choose. Fred from sharp shooter supply can up grade you to what ever caliber you want. Alls you have to do is buy a different bolt face for the action if the caliber you choose in the futrue does not match what you currently have. I have a switch barrel savage. It has 3 barrels a 22-250 a 6-284 and 7wsm. Its a realy easy change alls you have to do is change the bolt face and switch barrels takes about 5 to 10 minutes to do.

The beauty of a savage rifles is, it does not matter which caliber you choose. Fred from sharp shooter supply can up grade you to what ever caliber you want. Alls you have to do is buy a different bolt face for the action if the caliber you choose in the futrue does not match what you currently have. I have a switch barrel savage. It has 3 barrels a 22-250 a 6-284 and 7wsm. Its a realy easy change alls you have to do is change the bolt face and switch barrels takes about 5 to 10 minutes to do.

Is yours a short action? If so, do you find the magazine long enough for longer bullets in those calibers?

Yes mine is a short action. I had a plate put in because i wanted a single shot rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.