3 rifles for a Barrett with a mk4?

My local gun shop got a used Barrett MRAD in 338 Lapua Magnum that's topped with Leupold mk4 in 4.5-14x50mm and an additional 20" 308 Winchester switch barrel. The owner knows me well enough and said he'd be willing to trade me the Barrett straight up for my Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua Magnum with an SWFA 10x42HD scope, my Savage 10 FCP-K in 308 Winchester with a Minox ZA-5HD 3-15x50mm scope, and one of my Aero Ar-10's in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold 3-9x40mm VX-R Patrol scope on top. I feel like it's a fair deal but I'm curious about what other think. The gun shop owner said he'd rather have 3 rifles he can sell easier than 1 boutique expensive rifle that he'll sit on for months.
Easy enough....add up everything you have against his asking price...and decided if you like one of your scopes better switch it to the Barrett.....as he said....might take a long time to sell his so don't OVERTRADE....IMHO

That thing is a beast and would suck to carry a mile to the deer stand....doesn't t mean I'm not going to do it (I will definitely do it), just stating it will suck.

The MRAD is in great condition. The store owner said the previous owner put 40 rounds through the 338LM barrel and never shot the 308 barrel.

As you mentioned, your decision could be based on infatuation as opposed to clarity of mind when considering overall utility.
The rifles you mentioned to trade all have a niche for YOU for whatever kind of hunting/shooting YOU do so you need to factor in if the MRAD will satisfy that "itch" for shooting Prairie Poodles or would it be an enormous case of overkill when compared to a lesser caliber(s).
Then there is the cost of each round fired assuming the MRAD would become your Do All to fulfill all the hunting/shooting you'd do with the lesser calibers.
Even reloading, with the larger caliber of the two barrels, sending rounds downrange regardless the target will be high while the .308, not so much. Especially when factoring in buying NEW reloading components and/or equipment if required.
So it is ALL subjective and an itch only YOU can satisfy by making the trade, or not.
And that isn't taking into consideration the actual $$$ value of the swap, either.
As others have said, it is a decision that YOU will have to live with and only YOU can decide if the trade would make both financial sense as well as satisfy the desire for an exotic (and totally BITCHIN'!) piece of new hardware to show off at the range.
My last and only caveat would be to insist on an opportunity to shoot BOTH barrels at the range (your cost for ammo, Natch) to ensure that bad boy CAN hunt.
I'm sure your LGS Dealer wouldn't intentionally take advantage of you but rather than end up in a contentious battle because the rifle is a lemon, (and learn that is why the previous owner divested himself of it) better to have ALL the factors covered and specified up front.
All that said, let us know your decision and send a picture or two of your new acquisition should it happen for you.
Good Luck, God Bless, and.....
Overnout

My local gun shop got a used Barrett MRAD in 338 Lapua Magnum that's topped with Leupold mk4 in 4.5-14x50mm and an additional 20" 308 Winchester switch barrel. The owner knows me well enough and said he'd be willing to trade me the Barrett straight up for my Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 338 Lapua Magnum with an SWFA 10x42HD scope, my Savage 10 FCP-K in 308 Winchester with a Minox ZA-5HD 3-15x50mm scope, and one of my Aero Ar-10's in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold 3-9x40mm VX-R Patrol scope on top. I feel like it's a fair deal but I'm curious about what other think. The gun shop owner said he'd rather have 3 rifles he can sell easier than 1 boutique expensive rifle that he'll sit on for months.
One more note on the trade.....if you go ahead with it..... you will need to change your "handle" here......to Barrett Hunter....might cause some confusion for members....lol

As you mentioned, your decision could be based on infatuation as opposed to clarity of mind when considering overall utility.
The rifles you mentioned to trade all have a niche for YOU for whatever kind of hunting/shooting YOU do so you need to factor in if the MRAD will satisfy that "itch" for shooting Prairie Poodles or would it be an enormous case of overkill when compared to a lesser caliber(s).
Then there is the cost of each round fired assuming the MRAD would become your Do All to fulfill all the hunting/shooting you'd do with the lesser calibers.
Even reloading, with the larger caliber of the two barrels, sending rounds downrange regardless the target will be high while the .308, not so much. Especially when factoring in buying NEW reloading components and/or equipment if required.
So it is ALL subjective and an itch only YOU can satisfy by making the trade, or not.
And that isn't taking into consideration the actual $$$ value of the swap, either.
As others have said, it is a decision that YOU will have to live with and only YOU can decide if the trade would make both financial sense as well as satisfy the desire for an exotic (and totally BITCHIN'!) piece of new hardware to show off at the range.
My last and only caveat would be to insist on an opportunity to shoot BOTH barrels at the range (your cost for ammo, Natch) to ensure that bad boy CAN hunt.
I'm sure your LGS Dealer wouldn't intentionally take advantage of you but rather than end up in a contentious battle because the rifle is a lemon, (and learn that is why the previous owner divested himself of it) better to have ALL the factors covered and specified up front.
All that said, let us know your decision and send a picture or two of your new acquisition should it happen for you.
Overnout
Very well done and great advice on shoot first...so you don't ask later!

Well, I think Savage's are one step above a boat anchor and Creedmoors are about pointless...so yup I'd trade those 3 in a heartbeat! Lol
If the creedmoor is so point less, why so many shooting them in all the prs matches, and lr matches ? I'll be waiting on this one !

If the creedmoor is so point less, why so many shooting them in all the prs matches, and lr matches ? I'll be waiting on this one !

Is this a PRS or LR comp forum? Last I checked it is Long Range Hunting...and in that field, yes the Creedmoor is pointless imo.

But...the Creed is cheap to shoot, fairly accurate with factory ammo and it satisfies the man bun types of PRS since it's "the latest and greatest" of tacticool.

Overnout

the firearms you have are more mainstream I would say and the Barrett is something most of us have to get in the right predicament to acquire one. I say the rifle is more important than the scope. Great scopes are everywhere and cost 1/10th of the price of that firearm. So you can get it serviced or worse case get a new one (scope). The rifle your pretty much stuck with, so make sure you want it. Maybe shoot it and then you will either have the butterfly's or not. If so then get it right away :)
You are not spending any cash to speak of. Yes there is monetary value but it's different than laying down some hard ~

I wrote 2 more paragraphs but they did not post Argh!
Is there character limits to replies? I did write a lot b/c I wanted too.
Paddy

Finishing my other thread...Hard earned cash. Also you see 3 guns going out and one coming back so your mind will think your purchase did not add up. Sometimes some people feel one way about how many they have as to how many quality firearms you have; there could be a stark difference for the average person.
I suggest making the trade if what I said above helps and then save to purchase some of those you traded but you could get ones that have new upgrades to both firearm and optics. I guess I am saying seez the moment or keep saving.
Keep the faith,
Paddy

Is this a PRS or LR comp forum? Last I checked it is Long Range Hunting...and in that field, yes the Creedmoor is pointless imo.

But...the Creed is cheap to shoot, fairly accurate with factory ammo and it satisfies the man bun types of PRS since it's "the latest and greatest" of tacticool.
I like that fairly accurate. You must be a 6.5 hater. .. drink that HATERAID

Like someone mentioned, if you think that its a good trade ...do it..and are the rifles u are trading any of your go to rifles, or they rifles that just sit in the gun safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.