3" group 200 yards, GAP .300 WSM, Berger VLD not cutting it? Need advice pls

I know this thread hasn't been active for a few months but I just found it and wanted to weigh in. I've got a GAP built 308 and a StraightShot 300wsm build and had the exact same experience with both rifles. Best I could do with either rig and the HSM loaded 168 and 185 Bergers was 1.5 inches at 100. But I knew it wasn't the rifles cause I've done a lot better with the Sierra MKs. I switched to Nosler Custom Factory Ammo in 165 and 180 AB the same day and averaged 1/2 inch at 100 with both rifles. One group was .27 inches and several in the .35 to .5 inches. Massive difference! I think it's all in the seating depth on those Bergers. I haven't given up on them but I'm not going to shoot the HSM Berger factory stuff any more. I've had great success with the HSM MatchKing and AMax but not the Bergers. So, I bought a reloading kit and I'm about to load up some Bergers that are tweaked to my rifles. IMO it's a good excuse to start reloading :)

Oh @#$$% I just noticed how old this string is; Who cares, Right?

3" group at 200 yds = 9" groups at 600 yards = ok hunting accuracy.

When I buy any rifle that is new to me I do the following 1) Glass bed the action ; 2) load ammunition with different weigh bullets and different powder loads to see what the rifle wants to shoot; if you don't reload, buy ammo from several manufacturers with different weight bullets; 3) when seating during reloading I seat the bullet out as far as the magazine will allow; 4) I use a rifle sled to reduce movement during test firing; 5) I use a rifle sling, especially on higher velocity ammo, because the rifle wants to jump up and/or to the right(if you are a Rt handed shooter) pull the rifle sling down with some force against the rifle sled; 6) lay your thumb of your trigger hand against the side of the rifle so it does not affect your group; 7) shoot 2 shot strings at most, then cool barrel down, use a wet towel. Modern guns and 6.5 swedes will usually get less than an onch at 100 yds and less than 2" at 200 yds using this methodology.

Capt thanks for ht6e info just bought 300 wsm in BAR for my son, this year will be his first year out hunting since he was hit by a car and they didn't thiunk he would be able to hike any more. I will try the 210's Thanks again.

never use the lead sled it kept loosening all my screws that hold the action to the stock and all of the scope screws even with blue loctite , i reload and my best groups out at 500yds is about 3-1/2 '' using a browning abolt i have used berger bullets in almost everything i shoot and cant find anything to good with them the best for my 300 is using sierra bullets. the bergers are pretty anyway.

alot of shooters dont know that flat base bullets go stable from about the muzzle to 200 to 300 yds the boat tails take 300yds or more to go stable i have seen it but the bergers that i use up to 180grains even at that range or more and at different seating depths the sierras still out shoot them but every gun and every shooter is different .

I tried the HSM with berger bullets in 270, 243 and 264win and none of it shot worth a crap in any of the guns I tried it in. also the 130 berger in the HSM 270 load is the same berger that will shoot in the .3's when I load it myself. amazing how the same bullet can shoot so bad with a different powder charge.

i thinks its because the "factory ammo" is seated to work in all types of rifles! and fit the magazines as well.
these bullets rock! but you have to set them out close to the lands. i set mine .010 off the lands. they are long bullets and when seated this way wont work in my mag well, but they shoot...
my handloads for .30-06 in 168 vld run under 1/2'' @ 200yds on good days, best being .442"@ 200yds. in a off the shelf hunting rifle m700 adl that ive accurized. not a benchrest rifle!
im sure if you get someone to measure your chamber and handload a few for you youd be amazed the difference youd see in that rifle! give it a try youll be glad you did! i make almost all my own ammo now days,just buy rimfire.gun)

VLD bullets do not start to stablize until 300yds or more if you think most of your shots are 300 or shorter go with flat base sierra they go stable almost out of the barrel..

Sorry liltank, I did not see your posted question until now. My load for the 300WSM is Win brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 210 Berger's, 59.5 grains of H-4350 with an OAL of 3.033. This rifle is a single shot. It shoots all three bullets touching every time, between 1/4" and 1/2" depending on me.

first, loose the lead sled. This equipment does not allow the rifle to function properly when a round is fired. Shoot off some sorta rest that supports the rifle securely and also allows it to recoil as it should. next get a bubble meter (level) and if you can have it installed by a pro (gunsmith) who will check that everything is level from the rifle up. next invest in and learn how to hand load. make sure you also invest in a Hornady bullet compareter. nothing compares to a round that is made for that specific rifle. I shoot a custom 300 wsm. I settled on Berger vld's 185 gr. I say settled because I tried every bullet in the book and yes i spent bank doing so. But you get what you pay for. I started every ladder i ever made for this rifle seating my bullets 2 thou off the lands in 2 thou increments out to 10 thou. my rifle shot best 4 thou off but i had to bump out to 6 thou in order for the rounds to function in the magazine. i will tell you that my rifle with 65 gr. of H4350 (min load) 185 gr. VLD's 6 thou off the lands (2950 fps mv) puts every round under a quarter at 200 yards.. no BS!!

hope this helps..

Attachments

• cow 2012.JPG
    cow 2012.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 87
first of all like some of the others recomended ditch the lead sled. Secondly you sure cant judge a rifle or be even considering sending it back to be checked because it wont shoot one specific load. Ive got guns that it took weeks of loading to get a charge that worked with a specific bullet and some bullets that just wont shoot period in a gun and even some guns that wont shoot a specific weight of bullet. My wsm absolutely hates 180s does pretty well wth 165s and drives nails with 150s. best two hands down were the 150 tssx barnes and the 150 sst hornady. If i judged that rifle on the first loads i tried which were with 4 differnt 180 grain bullets it would be in the dumpster right now.My use for the wsm isnt long range paper punching its shooting whitetails out to 500 yards and for that either of those 150s will do just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.