3 groove barrells

RBrowning

Can someone explain the advantage or disadvantage of a 3 groove barrel? I am considering a 6.5-284 and don't want to overlook a possible major item.

Thanks,
Rick

Howdy Rbrowning

In two 30 cal cartridges, 7.62 NATO, and the 30 Wolf, The Lilja three grooves tested superior in 3 areas, Accuracy, Velocity, and Throat Life. The Krieger 4 grooves were close in accuracy, and velocity, not close in throat life. The Hart and Schnieder and Obermier were also close in accuracy. The Black Stars finished last in every catagory but throat life, and were not even close in the accuracy department.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Dana Cambell, a gunsmith up here had done alot of testing with 30/378wbys using 3 groove barrels and found best results with them.

My .22-250 has a 3 groove Pac-Nor 1:8 twist that is proving to be a good choice in accuracy and throat life. My 6.5-284 also has one identical to my .22-250 except for bore size, obviously. Its too early to tell with this one, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.