3 custom rifles what calibers?

midwesthunter

Ok I might not need 3 maybe just 2. Ok in reality I don't need any. In this declining economy I was able to sell my house and make a profit. I have always wanted a couple custom rifles. Well I have a couple but not up to the quality I would like I want full custom rifles. I am currently building a semi custom 338 something right now. But I don't count that in to the ones I want. I will keep that rifle and will let a couple friends borrow for hunting if needed. But the ones I want to build will be my babies. And my Son's who will be 4 in June.:) I have several rifles in diffrent calibers from .223 to 8mm mag. Reason I was thinking 3 rifles is one for varmint, one for med size, and a big bore for whatever. Might be able to use same rifle for varmint/med size game. As I kill yotes to kill yotes not for there fur. Well mainly kill them to help deer population out. Chucks I just turn into chunks. I hope to do alot more western hunting in the future, So Mulies, antelope, whitetail. Don't think I will ever cough up the cash to hunt any mountain goats or rams. Maybe some african exotics in TX. And while in TX may as well blast some hogs. I also plan to hunt moose,bear(black and grizzly),elk, caribou. Don't want any extream wildcat cartriges. Now I am really unfamilliar with any of the allen mags. But I thought I read that his 338 AM pushes 300 grain pills at 3200-3300 FPS? That would be ok with me for the big bore. I guess for the midle caliber I really have no preference, other than something with a good BC bullet selection, that shoots pretty flat. I would like to keep the cost of each rifle in the $3000-3500 range before scope. So I guess I just would like to get by with 2 rifles. Sugestions? Smiths?

6mm BR with a 1 in 8 twist and shoot 87 gr V-Max's and 107 SMK's

300 Win with 1 in 10 twist for 210 Bergers

.338 Lapua with 1 in 10 fr 300 SMK's.

I will complete my set today when I pick up the 300 win. The 300 is a lighter rifle that will be used in most cases for up to Elk at 1000. The 6mm br is my varmint / yote rifle. I have already taken gophers to 400 and a facing yote at 653. I and my wife will use this rifle on antelope to 700 yards too.

The .338 Lapua is 17 lbs. a thrill to shoot an has taken everything I shot it at with one shot kills. This includes a WT deer at 1137 and a Bull Elk at 1130.

The only other thing I might do is to sell off my 22-250 for a target barreled AR in .223 This will be for calling yotes and fast shooting of Prairie dogs.

I feel for me these rifle will serve me well, last a long time and be easy on brass.

Jeff

Congrats on selling your house! Thats pretty exciting.
As far as what calibers, I would go with a 6mm of some sort. I personally like the .243win for decent barrel life and good performance. A 7mm (probably 7mmRem/280) becuase of good bullet selction and great ballistics and the perfect size for deer. The .243 will be a great starter rifle for your son, and eventually he can graduate to the 7mm. And then to top the list a .338; RUM, EDGE, LAPUA. The list stops there becuase I feel like most bigger cartriges are too hard on barrels. 8mm Rem are cool too, but a definate lack of bullet selection.

6.5 something (6.5x284, 6.5x47, 6.5x55 swede, 264 Win Mag, 260 Rem) for the light to medium caliber. For the big bore, 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Lapua. If you want to go bigger then you look into the 338AM, 330 Baer, 338 Norma Mag, and 338-378 Weatherby. Those would be my picks. The 6.5's give you great bullet selection with excellent BC's. Can be loaded light for short varmint or loaded heavy for lopes, whitetail etc. to 800+ yards. Those are my selections.

I do have a soft spot for 30's, so a big 30 of some type may be in order.

Tank

If you don't want a screamer .22 like the .220 swift or 22-250 then,
6mm Rem or 6mm-284
.280AI
.338WM or RUM or AM or .338-06 for brushier hunts.

Last edited:
Well since you already have a "338 something" i would go with my two favorites. First the 7mm STW. You can push a 168g Berger bullet over 3200 fps and take any north american big game with this cartrage.

Second i would go with the 243 Super Rockchucker. It is a 25-06 case necked down and shoots a 243 bullet. I am shooting the 90 grain bergers at 3600-3700 FPS. Although sutible for deer sized game it really shines on varmits. I would not consider this to be an extreame wildcat. If you handload there is nothing to it.

Personally... I would go with...

223 or 22-250 varmint

260 rem

And if you already have a 338 then dont know about the 3rd, maybe a 300rum, or if you dont mind having to 338's then a 338 norma mag or edge...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.