3 armed idiots go after late season Elk on the Flat Tops in Colorado.

Thanks - great read - felt like I was there with you. I have resumed hunting elk the last few years after a 30 year hiatus, and in CO near the flat tops. I've only had a couple days a year, so it's taken me a few years to learn all that you did in this one trip! It's really important that you log these lessons like you did, or you have to relearn them (or maybe it's just me since I have 20 years on you).

Three tips on the shooting that have helped me: (1) get a capable scope with elevation turret that tracks true when you dial it up and back down. There are a lot of great options, and with new innovations every year, the old versions can be found relatively inexpensively on the used market (it doesn't need to be fancy - Burris and Vortex make great ones inexpensively with terrific service and warranty support), (2) get a laser range finder with Angle Modified Range (AMR) so you know what to dial or hold on high angle mountain shots, (3) practice wind calls all the time even when you are walking to class. If you do the first two, elevation adjusting is easy - wind will remain hard esp. over 400 yards in the mountains. Sometimes a cross wind becomes an updraft when your target is on a mountainside (as elk always are!). oh, and a 4th tip, your 7mm RM is near perfect for elk, so stick with it and buy just one ammo that you use for practice and hunting. That will minimize variability. Everyone has their own favorite - for me it's Hornady precision hunter because its high BC reduces wind impact and it performs very well in my rifle. With your service background and weapons training, you'll become proficient in no time.

Good luck to you!

Sig Sauer makes a good laser with the AMR feature and excellent range. On the cheap, a Mildot Master will translate the proper calculations for your shot situations. You can use your mildots to estimate range.

I own both a Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 and a Mildot Master. I highly recommend both.

And thanks for sharing your experience.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/131691/mildot-enterprises-mildot-master-range-and-bullet-drop-calculation-guide?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Optics+-+Scope+Rings,+Bases,+Mounting+&+Accessories&utm_content=131691&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scope+Rings,+Bases,+Mounting+&+Accessories-_-Mildot+Enterprises-_-131691&gclid=CjwKCAiA15vTBRAHEiwA7Snfc_V7kpVcQ9AIPedFKsOt0rkXpnZXqKXXZrcr_iVi1Lza-hO0jBvYoBoCzUcQAvD_BwE

You done good!

I failed one test, however.

Pic number six, one with all the brush, what am I supposed to see?

I'm frustrated and can't rest until I see something in it.:(

Haha yeah, thats a tough one. Elk herd at about 2.25 miles range at 60 power bedded. They are pretty dispersed. The camera on my phone doesn't give enough resolution or accurate coloring. When spotting elk pay close attention to coloring or cookie shaped bushes.

You done good!

I failed one test, however.

Pic number six, one with all the brush, what am I supposed to see?

I'm frustrated and can't rest until I see something in it.:(

Same herd as pic 4 actually. They stay pretty dispersed in cover, and clump up in the open.

You might look into the Bushnell ARC bino's. They have the angle compensation/ lrf built in, and you can program in the ballistics of your individual rifle. They are a tad bit heavier than regular binos's, but when you factor in the extra weight/hassle of binos and a stand-alone lrf, it's a wash. The plus is that if you see something that you need to range, you just push a button and bingo it s ranged, vs with a stand alone lrf, you have to reacquire the target and range it after you have found it with binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.