3,570 fps with 150 gr bullet

I have been shooting the 7 STW's since 1990 or so. Back then, our thinking was very different. 120g and 140g Nosler solid base lead tips were readily available. I ordered a reamer set up for the 120g solid base as they and the 140 had never blown up on deer. We fire formed the 8 Rem mag with R#22 at 3800 fps using a 27" hart barrel, group were sub half inch in the Hart barrel.

Next barrel was a 27" Pac Nor Super match with an 11 twist, and the reamer has .020 freebore. 120's are at 3920 fps and the 140's are at 3700, the barrel shoots 3/8" or less groups with the 120 nosler solid base and the 140g C/T bullet from Nosler, never have had a bullet blow up on deer on this rifle since 1999.

Two SS Sendero 7 Mags were purchased when they were readily available for nephews, and the barrel was set back a tad and the same short freebore reamer used on both of them by a gunsmith in Utah, Steve Hendry.

Both of these Sendero barrels shoot the 140g Nosler C/T bullet at 3600 with IMR 7828.

As you might imagine, brass primer pockets do not last long, but accuracy is astounding. Brother, cousins, and nephews have never used anything other than 140g C/T Nosler bullets, no blow ups, near or far. Since these are deer hunting rifles only, barrels last a long time.

None of our rifles are fancy, one single shot Savage long action, the rest are Remington 700's that have not had the actions trued, but they are pillar bedded in the stocks. All of the rifles are extremely accurate, as it seems that the 7 STW is an extremely accurate case.

I was shocked to see how accurate the 120g Tipped Barnes are at 3920 fps, as they shot a single tiny bullet hole that was barely opened up with the Burris Black Diamond 8-32 on it.

Just got that pair of scopes used. Hardly used.The scope has already been removed. If you need that, you haven't spent enough time glassing for deer. I have another set of spacemasters that I like better. There is no substitute for good glass. Tripods need replaced with some modern stuff. Some day I am going to put two swarovskis together.
I have more rifle and long range STW deer kill photos if you want to see them.

I am hesitant to give out my loads because I made changes to the reamer design to get more velocity @ design pressure. I change the lead angle and the freebore was increased over .100 thousandths. the bullets are seated to 3.550 and pressures were very manageable. I also used a 36" drop tube to get bulky powders in the case. It was a lot of trouble, but nothing is free when going after velocity.

There are starting loads in different manuals using H 5010 and 50 BMG so they would be safe in your rifle. I have not tried many of the new powders because I have a very accurate load and don't believe in messing with the combination of something that works very well.

I will tell you that the Nosler Partition performed very well also even if the BC of that bullet are not as good as boat tailed bullets and were my go to bullets for under 500 yard shots. The Ballistic tips were very explosive at under 500 yards, the Accubonds should cure that Issue.

As stated before, the bullet becomes the critical component in high velocity loading's.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks J E.
I'm not running a short throat chamber as per SAAMI. I have a Wyatts box going in. 3.850" will be my max length.
I still haven't found any data with H50BMG. This is made here and called AR2218 and is in 4kg jugs.
I use it in my 338-416 Rigby Improved.

Cheers.

NDAR15, those are old Bushnell Spacemasters. They are no longer made. The glass was very good and the scopes were affordable back in the day. A local started making up a cradle to put them in about 30 years ago. We have used them to find deer on wooded mountains ever since.
They have to culminated perfectly and that can be time consuming. I use the stars on a clear night.
The dual scopes aren't twice as good as a single scope that are 10 times as good. I wouldn't even consider using a single scope to find game. We often wonder how that became an acceptable standard for manufacturers.
Here is a picture of my good pair. The dog is waiting for a look.

Attachments

• IMG_9921 (3).jpg
    IMG_9921 (3).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 144
Just got that pair of scopes used. Hardly used.The scope has already been removed. If you need that, you haven't spent enough time glassing for deer. I have another set of spacemasters that I like better. There is no substitute for good glass. Tripods need replaced with some modern stuff. Some day I am going to put two swarovskis together.
I have more rifle and long range STW deer kill photos if you want to see them.
Well before you do that (Swarovskis), you should try to arrange for a visual side by side test.
Not saying they arent better mind you, just that you might be surprised how little better they are from what you have (for what you do with them). Im guessing your using 22x WA eyepieces. Although they are the most popular, and most sought after, they are not necessarily the best choice for those glasses.
And again, side by side testing will show all those things. I currently have 6 sets of various makes and size spotting scope binoculars in several different type brackets. The largest currently being 77 mm Kowas.
If i were forced to give up all but one set, i would be keeping the oldest 60 mm set i have.
Maybe come fall when the leaves come down we could hook up for an optics shoot out with a bunch of them, including the Swaros.

I don't know why you would want 50 bmg data for a 150g, way too light bullet for that powder.
we used to use aa 8700 with 140's in our 7stw's 20 some years back. 5010 was reserved for 175's. Lately I've stopped pushing my 7mm's so hard and settle at 3100 fps on a 175'ish and 3400-3500 fps on a 140. If I want more I have a pair of 300 rum rifles I can drive 180's to 3400 fps with or hit them with a 225 at 3K or more.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts