3-18x50 vx6hd cds

RBlevins

Im sure my question has been answered on here before but I cant find it so for the I apologize. I recently bought this scope and Im tweaking my load for my 7mm rem mag shooting 162gr eldx. I live on the east coast at sea level, Ive read that there is roughly 2000ft elevation play in the CDS dial, and Im wondering what the temperature range needs to be that the dial will still be accurate. For example if its 20 degrees either way or 10 degrees and what not. Thanks

Input all of your variables into a ballistics calculator and get a drop chart. Then do proposed variable and make another. IE, I have one for here with 500 ft elevation, 65* F, 65% humidity, and then one for 10,000 ft elevation, 35* F, and 30% humidity. IF I made a turret I would make one with values in the middle and not shoot it at ELR. As it is, I just use the chart that applies best to what I'm doing and know what my drops are in MOA.

I would just use moa. Then you can use a rangefinder or kestro which will take into consideration the atomsphric conditions. There is no perfect guess at what temps you will be making that long range shot.

Im sure my question has been answered on here before but I cant find it so for the I apologize. I recently bought this scope and Im tweaking my load for my 7mm rem mag shooting 162gr eldx. I live on the east coast at sea level, Ive read that there is roughly 2000ft elevation play in the CDS dial, and Im wondering what the temperature range needs to be that the dial will still be accurate. For example if its 20 degrees either way or 10 degrees and what not. Thanks

Depends on what you mean by accurate. You can run some comparisons in a ballistic calculator to determine how much variance you're comfortable with, but any change in atmospherics will have some (even if quite small) impact on external ballistics. You'll just have to decide what tolerance you can accept.

This is the main reason I find custom dials to be useless for me. If I were always hunting the same animal, in the same spot, in the same temperatures, year after year, then maybe. But those constraints don't apply to me. I would rather run situational info through a ballistics solver to get a solution for a wide range of conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.