2nd Study on Salt Bath Annealing (SBA).

I finished a second study on Salt Bath Annealing. This time I'm comparing SBA with Flame Annealing focusing on preserving the brass. Also testing a lower temperature differential for SBA (500C) versus what I recommend and used on my first study (550C).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15arPG5vvpCWJ3CTIIrxdO1Em9rFG6g3F/view?fbclid=IwAR1ZBRX0IDwjZ5fhxb8arZNA8EmJxqMCEQqTiJddGZDkhPXU2ckXwf_WsN4
Thanks so much for your effort in providing us with additional information. I have your product and am well pleased with it. Can't swear by why, however I am shooting tighter groups with annealing the cases after every firing.

Very good work. Glad to see a well controlled experiment.

As I'm sure this takes a tremendous amount of time/work, but would you be willing to try at least one more experiment, with longer soak times and lower T? The Lee pot has to run at near full tilt to maintain 550° C, and it gives me longevity concerns. Perhaps a 10-12 second soak at ~510°, closer to the shoulder, would give comparable results? Perhaps not?

Thanks again for your work.

Very good work. Glad to see a well controlled experiment.

As I'm sure this takes a tremendous amount of time/work, but would you be willing to try at least one more experiment, with longer soak times and lower T? The Lee pot has to run at near full tilt to maintain 550° C, and it gives me longevity concerns. Perhaps a 10-12 second soak at ~510°, closer to the shoulder, would give comparable results? Perhaps not?

Thanks again for your work.
\
I understand your point, aamof, on my melter I bypassed the original thermostat, which was already failing. I use a PID to control the temperature.
I also believe that 510C has not enough differential to modify the brass in 12 seconds. Maybe 530C for 15 seconds is a good start.
Next time I fire up the melter I will test few cases with tempilac at 510 and 530C recording the time needed to liquefy the 750F tempilac and will let you know.

Thanks so much for your effort in providing us with additional information. I have your product and am well pleased with it. Can't swear by why, however I am shooting tighter groups with annealing the cases after every firing.
Thanks for the kind words.
My calculated guess (have not tested it) is that the salt modify the brass to a similar condition, eliminating one variable in the equation. You are not the only one reporting better groups (and SD/ES). This test is the most requested one. I might tackle it later this year. It requires numerous range trips and presents a high cost compared with the first two studies.

Thanks for the kind words.
My calculated guess (have not tested it) is that the salt modify the brass to a similar condition, eliminating one variable in the equation. You are not the only one reporting better groups (and SD/ES). This test is the most requested one. I might tackle it later this year. It requires numerous range trips and presents a high cost compared with the first two studies.

I did a precision and ES/SD test with an SBA rig, and posted the results here...

Salt Bath Annealing setup and quantitative assessment.

I got measurable positive results. In less controlled shooting since, the results appear to hold up.

I did a precision and ES/SD test with an SBA rig, and posted the results here...

Salt Bath Annealing setup and quantitative assessment.

I got measurable positive results. In less controlled shooting since, the results appear to hold up.
Excellent!
It confirms what other shooters that bought from my store claim.
They say there is a visible benefit, even though in your test at 500C it won't modify the brass enough to to preserve the brass, somehow it normalizes the brass, i.e., all brass is similar to a degree and that helps the whole process of accuracy.
I will eventually do a similar test, adding a comparison with flame annealing.

Thank you again for this study. I'm using SBA, but have not fired the reloaded ammo enough to get a feeling for improved performance.

My goal in using SBA is improved accuracy. Longevity is secondary. I have not fired annealed brass ammo enough to get a sense for whether I'm getting the improved accuracy, but anecdotal evidence is that I am.

CS, thank you again for doing the tests. I have a good idea of what is involved to do tests like this and appreciate the work you put into them. I have looked into the Annealeze but the cost is prohibitive for me right now. I like the idea of loading it up and letting it run but simply can't afford one at the moment. The SBA seems to be the best alternative.
Cheers,
crkckr

CS, thank you again for doing the tests. I have a good idea of what is involved to do tests like this and appreciate the work you put into them. I have looked into the Annealeze but the cost is prohibitive for me right now. I like the idea of loading it up and letting it run but simply can't afford one at the moment. The SBA seems to be the best alternative.
Cheers,
crkckr
You will be amazed how quickly you can do a 100 cases with the SBA method...just saying.

I also thank you for this study and all your efforts for the benefit of all who enjoy this form.
From my experience as a bench rest shooter and hunter I have know doubt that this system has helped with my accuracy as the neck tension on my loads has become more consistent ,translating into tighter groups.Brass life I have know idea as yet .
For people that don't have a gauge on there press to show seating pressure you will still notice the feel of change of pressure on some shells without doing this process after multiple firings .
Reloading equipment is expensive and the higher tech you go the more expensive it gets .So to get a reasonable priced tool (salt bath system) that will work helps leave money for all the other thing that one needs as you get deeper into the precision loading process.
I again would like to thank all the people that contribute to this form as info helps us all .
Just my two cents

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.