$2k - $3k Muzzleloader options

Darryle

It has been awhile since I have spent any money in this arena. I have a Savage 10ML 50cal that had served me well in the past. I recently came across it packed away in the container. Apparently my cleaning and subsequent neutralizing method missed a bit of powder residue and there are a couple of pits along the bore.

Reading up on the new trends of using LRM primers left me wondering if anyone does a rebarrel and primer conversion or would I be better served finding a custom purpose built muzzleloader in the $2k - $3k range?

Thanks

Well, that apparently was a great deal, it's gone

Well, that apparently was a great deal, it's gone
Yes it was a deal and it sure didn't last long. Jeff builds those rifles top quality all the way.
Honestly, when he first put it up for sale this afternoon, I .... almost .... said I'd take it. Thankfully reality caught up with me and I knew better. I already have a bolt that shoots better than a shooter can shoot it.
For the first time in 56yrs I didn't buy a deer license this year. The wife was seriously injured falling from a ladder and has at minimum a year for recovery, and between my A1C and darn knee needing replacement, it would have just been to much this year.

I will use bestill or arrowhead when I get to do my muzzleloader. Might be a year or two still but they both make great muzzys.

Last edited:
emotionheader.jpg

You can find really nice muzzleloaders at Track Of The Wolf....but I have to warn you, they are REAL muzzleloaders.

I appreciate that, but I am looking for a long range inline, something similar to the Savage I already have. I will probably have the Savage converted to LRMP and rebarreled to a 40 or 45cal.

Thanks again!

When Remington first came out with the 700ML .50cal I jumped on one right away. Right out of the box I had problems with misfires with the #11 percussion caps. My life got busy and it got relegated to the back of the safe for several years. I finally brought it out and started playing with it. Misfires continued, click but no bang. My gunsmith fixed it over the phone. He said Remington used a lubricant that dried out and got hard in the bolt innards. He gave me a cleaning regimen that included kerosene and carb cleaner. Never had a misfire since. I bought a 209 primer conversion kit for it, my smith installed, now flawless performance. It was less than $300 new. Plus the Nikon 3x9 that I topped it with. Two 50gr pyrodex pellets, and a 250gr Barnes ML Solid hollow-point sabot bullet. No idea about velocity but I know it kills deer out to 145 yards for me and will shoot a 1" group at 80 yards if I dry swab the barrel after each shot. Best investment I ever made. No need to spend thousands.

Good to here about Savage 10 ML.
Anyone have some smokeless old data.
I haven't use it in 10 years. Can't find old recipe. Thinking it was SR something.

Prettiest muzzle loader I ever saw / handled was at the custom gunmaker down at Colonial Williamsburg (colonial period flint lock). All hand made, hand rifled. too beautiful to take in the woods, in my opinion too expensive to even shoot.

Recent Posts