28Nos nasty on steel

Those throat pics, especially the hi mag one from Eric, in the Galapagos, reminds me of Inca hieroglyphs ! It says "Pretty soon this gun no shoot !"

I ran some Reloader 33 through my rig this morning- I was astounded at the heat it generates. Like to see some burn temp data, cause it seemed WAY hotter than Retumbo. Two shots, and I can't hold my hand on the barrel. Retumbo is usually good for four or five, before my barrel is that hot.

The 28 nos and a wildcat 7-300wm imp'd were high on my list for some time.

I've been bit by the 215 berger bug and I'm building a 30 nos in a stainless barrel which should be finished soon. I'm planning to run H1000 and i always take it easy on my rifles. Hopefully I see better life than this.

I ran some Reloader 33 through my rig this morning- I was astounded at the heat it generates. Like to see some burn temp data, cause it seemed WAY hotter than Retumbo. Two shots, and I can't hold my hand on the barrel. Retumbo is usually good for four or five, before my barrel is that hot.
High energy double base powder??

Use frugal Coalman air pump for faster kooling times... $20

Walmart has the battery powered one on sale once in awhile...

I agree,,, do all we can to get the life out of our barrels...

Make sure your builder is getting the best grade of stainless steel core to make your pipe,,, if I recall it comes form over seas,,, a bit extra in cost but well worth it over the long hual...

Just ideas that work for us up here in the North

I too noticed that the barrel in my 28 heats up quicker when I'm shooting 33, vs h1000. I've switched all my hunting loads over to h1000. Lost 100 fps, but gained better temp stability and hopefully a little longer barrel life.

Tried Retumbo with 160gr. Sierra Gamekings SPTBT today, I think I will go back to my 7828, accuracy was not very good for the STW.
I will give it another try but from my past experience IMR7828 has always given great accuracy, Velocity, and case life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.