28Nos nasty on steel

oh god. id hate to see my 204 rugers.....

i dont need this borescope thing. it would just add yet another layer of OCD onto this.

View attachment 149115 Yes, hard on barrels. But it looks pretty darn good compared to mine. Mine still shoots and looks awful after 600+ shots. I do use tubbs from time to time. I will try to upload a pic of mine, am on vacation right now, will see if works from Galápagos.
Gee Eric, that looks like alligator hide. What borescope did you use to get such good detail? I tried one of those cheap digital ones from Amazon, but the 90 degree mirror was too big for my .308 bore. I figured the right angle view was the best to really see detail.

Been in denial, but I finally put a bore scope down the 28 Nosler and it's fire cracked with 150 shots +/- 10 unaccounted for! The throat is alright, it groups well, I was getting pressure spike issues out of now where with tested loads? That's why cleaned it up and scoped it to see the inside. This is a chromoly steel 26" varmint weight. I adamant about doing only doing 3-4 shot strings within a 20-30 minute window.
View attachment 148988View attachment 148988 View attachment 148989 View attachment 148990 View attachment 148991
What borescope did you use to get this detailed photo? I haven't had much luck with the cheaper digital ones. but maybe I went too cheap and need to put up a little more cash.

What i have found works best is to Clean every 20 rounds (keeps carbon down), dont fire more than 3 shots in a row then wait for cool down, and every 100 rounds use the KG2 bore compound. You only need about 3 to 4 laps of the KG2 and it will remove any stubborn carbon and help a little with the fire cracking. Both my 28 with brux barrels have around 250 rounds in less than 3 months they dont look even this bad. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN :)

Use a cooler powder like retumbo. That will help some. If your running the pressure at max or above you will see this happen quicker.

Its definitely not a bang steel all the time cartridge. But if you are a hunter and practice off and on or shoot a few ground hogs a year they will easily give you 15 years. I like the 28 nos for the 180+ grain bullets and I love the 280ai. I will build a new rifle on the new wby 6.5 rpm brass necked up to 7mm. And in my remmy I can throat it long and use the whole case capacity. I think it's gonna be a winner. Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.