28n or 300rum

JMack

Ah. Yeah, 20" barrel on a 28 Nosler must light up the sky when you shoot it! Heck, I can see a small flash when I shoot my 7RM w. 26" barrel.
Ha! With the slower powders it seems more noticeable. I switched to h1000 and it’s not bad I actually don’t see it in broad daylight, or at least it’s not enough to notice

03USMC

Take both (one as the back up), but your primary should be the most accurate in your hands. It can’t hurt if it’s lighter too.
Good luck, great problem to have.

gearguywb

LRH Team Member
Use whatever you are more comfortable with. I used a 7STW for many years. Really liked the rifle and shot it well. In the end, thats all that really counts.

Jcook02

What powder and load data are you guys using for the 230? I haven't tried the OTM yet as Berger's data shows Ramshot and H-1000 pushing it around 2770 fps. I've stuck with the 200 AB as I'm pushing it closer to 3100 with Magnum.

JMack

What powder and load data are you guys using for the 230? I haven't tried the OTM yet as Berger's data shows Ramshot and H-1000 pushing it around 2770 fps. I've stuck with the 200 AB as I'm pushing it closer to 3100 with Magnum.
I’m pushing the 200 AB 3150 with retumbo

dogz

Use whatever you are more comfortable with. I used a 7STW for many years. Really liked the rifle and shot it well. In the end, thats all that really counts.

4 sure that's what really counts! What bullet did you use on elk?

JMack

So now I’m questioning my bullet. After shooting with my buddy yesterday I realize how well the Berger 180 hybrid shoots out of his 28 nosler and it got me thinking if I should try some Bergers out of my rum?

Huckleberry75

So now I’m questioning my bullet. After shooting with my buddy yesterday I realize how well the Berger 180 hybrid shoots out of his 28 nosler and it got me thinking if I should try some Bergers out of my rum?
At least you have all summer to narrow down that new rabbit hole you just peeked into. I have a similar situation with my 6.5saum. It shoots the 130vldh really well, but I have 3# of R26 and 200 140eol's just itching to be tried for Idaho in October. 🥴

You might look at the new 205gn EoL from Berger for the 300rum. I believe they have a shorter bearing surface than the ABLR and they have a BC of
30 Caliber 205 Grain Elite Hunter
G7 BC: 0.324
G1 BC: 0.631

Which is slightly below the published BC of the 210 ABLR, but who knows how accurate the Nosler BC numbers are. Pretty much a wash on BC, especially if you can get it moving a smidge faster with the shorter bearing surface.

Last edited:

JMack

At least you have all summer to narrow down that new rabbit hole you just peeked into. I have a similar situation with my 6.5saum. It shoots the 130vldh really well, but I have 3# of R26 and 200 140eol's just itching to be tried for Idaho in October. 🥴

You might look at the new 205gn EoL from Berger for the 300rum. I believe they have a shorter bearing surface than the ABLR and they have a BC of

Which is slightly below the published BC of the 210 ABLR, but who knows how accurate the Nosler BC numbers are. Pretty much a wash on BC, especially if you can get it moving a smidge faster with the shorter bearing surface.
Interesting. Thanks

JMack

Just ordered a box of the 205s.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce