28ga shooters

I have shot a 28 since 1976, a Win 101, sk1 &sk2.
Shot most everything with it including a turkey that flew over me at 10 yards.
Have also a 28 Dickinson Estate. Love that gun! Has been a great pheasant gun this year.
Effective to 25 or 30 yards on phez. Just like any other gun you have to put the pattern on the bird. Great grouse and woodcock medicine.

We have TriStars in s/a and o/u....
I worked up some loads following BPI loads...varied a touch(maybe shot or amount of powder), but came up with a great 25 cal buckshot load..and a load that bust clays at 50 consistently.....7/8oz load....
But since moving to Idaho just havent found the time to shoot shotguns much......really haven't found time to shoot much at all......need to figure out how to be dishonest and charge people more for less time worked and take more time off........lol

if we dont have a good chukar hatch this year i will be doing a lot of duck hunting. In Nevada you spend your whole life waiting to draw for a deer, antelope, elk tag and waiting for a good Chukar hatch way to much time in-between.
Ordering me a new Fly Rod and plan on doing a lot for fishing, and coyote hunting .

I shot pheasants with my 28 last year but only with
Hevishot Duck shells. The lighter gauge needs a
premium shell to make up the difference in my opinion

If you have ever broken open a heavyshot shell..it is ridiculous the shot they put into them and then say it is certain size shot....the stuff is all over the board as to size and "a lot " of it is welded together...great big chunks....
I have been tossing the idea of trying some of the ITX shot from BPI...but being i haven't shot a shotgun in three years it really isn't cost effective....most the time with wife and kid driving thru the woods looking for deer we see grouse and shoot them in the head with the one pump pellet gun...not as noisy and less cleanup from a blown up bird.....

I have super luck with the hevishot pheasant and duck loads....they hit hard
and it is amazing how many pellets that I am able to get on target

I had a 28ga SKB over and under. It was perfect for hunting Bobwhite Quail over dogs.
Unfortunately, it was part of a 3 barrel skeet set which I sold when I stopped shooting skeet.
35 years later and I still own the 12ga which is on a separate receiver.

The sub gauge shotguns seem to be more and more popular.
I am an avid waterfowl hunter and I see lots of guys
shooting them. The one's I know use shells like Hevishot
to make up the difference between them and the 12 gauges

Pellets out of a 28 are going just as fast as pellets out of a 12-ga. (assuming standard hunting loads), and most killed birds have no more than about 10 pellets put into them. You just don't have as many pellets with the 28, so your range has to be cut back. A real good wing-shot will hammer every rooster that goes up within 30 yards with his 28. Lesser shots (like me) do well sticking with a little less choke and more pellets to fill up the pattern.

I feel that a harder hitting ammo like the denser Hevishot pellets
really help with sub gauge shotguns. I use them exclusively

What is your upland bird load ?? and what birds do you hunt with your 28ga?
Hi, I shoot a Beretta silver pigeon in 28 gauge. Over the years I have used most brands of shells with good luck with all on sage grouse and pheasants. This year I shot most of my birds with the federal shells sold at Wal-Mart. I am a fan of Federal's shotgun loads. The little gun helps as well as everyone who picks it up can shoot it, just points naturally seemingly for all.

I will only shoot the Hevishot shells with my sub gauge shotguns.
I like having the luxury of having a better pellet

I have multiple 28 guage shotguns and have killed ducks, geese and all of the upland birds. I typically shoot 4 or 6 shot and have had great success with those. The goose that I killed flew over during an upland hunt and it just hammered it. The only shell I have ever had a problem with was a pheasant load that would stick in my tubes. I will find an old box and post the brand later.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.