285 A Max terminal report

Idaho Trecker

I started out this hunting season with testing AMax out for hunting and getting some personal experience with them. A couple weeks ago I scored on a little whitetail using the 208 A max and was very pleased with the results and was also my personal longest kill (560 yards).
A couple days ago I was able to connect with a better whitetail and broke my personal record once again with a 980 yard kill. The shot didn't hit exactly where I wanted but the 285 grain sure did its job and put the deer down humanely. I definitely think there is something to be said for frontal diameter and weight. I didnt get any picture of the damage due to the amount of time it was going to take me to get this deer packed out... Basically a triathalon... Had to ride my mountain bike for a ways then dive straight down the canyon, wade the river and hike straight up the other side and back again. Sorry about the rant for the pack out... Anyways the shot was a little far back but still had a golf ball sized exit which is what I experienced with the 208 AMax.
My rig is a Sako 85 classic that was rechambered to 338 RUM with a DE brake, NF 5.5-22. My loads are 285 grain AMax going 2760fps. At that distance I had almost the same speed and ft-lbs with just over 1600.
Just thought I would share

Attachments

• IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for the report, I've been looking for terminal performance reports on the 285! So it looked like it opened well at 1600fps? Could you tell when it started opening?

Bigngreen I was very happy with the results. I couldnt tell for sure how far it penetrated before opening but if I had to guess I'd say 3-4 inches.

Thanks for sharing your A-Max success. They shoot well in my .300 H&H.

I may have miss understood, but when I called manufacturer they recommended against A-Max for hunting, and suggested SST's for hunting (a bit more solid of a bullet). SST's are not shooting well for me.

Is A-Max success due to velocity falling off at range and heavy bullet weight?

Would you use a 155gr A-Max at 300 yrds?

Thoughts?

Marcf44a
That is correct that the manufacturer does not recommend using A Max for hunting. At close range and high velocity they will come apart and do alot of superficial damage and possibly not put the animal down humanely.

You are right about the success being the heavier weight and the velocity getting below 3000 fps or so. The A max is used for long range since they will open up at a very low velocity.

As for using a 155 grain A Max at 300 yards I personally would not use it for hunting. There are so many other bullets out there that are designed to better fit your application. I have had great results with the SST in my 270 Win but if you cant get them to shoot there is always the Nosler Accubond or my favorite the Swift Scirocco.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. Makes sense with Amax for long range impact.

I've tried all except Swift. Starting to think I have a marginal barrel...

I'll be testing the 285 amax out of a 338 rum next week on Nebraska whitetail. I'll be sure to take pics and report back.

It's gonna be fun! Those whitetail aren't gonna know what him em! Assuming I shoot your 338 because we all know you can't hit anything passed 100 yards...hahahahahaha :Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.