284 XP-100 Bullet

Gray R

Mornin everyone! My XP-100 build should be done in a month or so, and I've got a bear hunt in May. With the way the world is I can't find the stuff id normally use but I have access to some 175 eld-x, some 168/175 ABLR, and some 150 BT and im wondering if anyone knows anything I dont about which one I should buy a few boxes of and count on. Eventually I'd like to work out some longer distance capabilities but for this hunt I'm going to be limiting myself to 300 yards. The XP is a 15 inch 284 Win. Let me know what you guys think!! Thanks in advance.

I didn't have any luck with the ABLR, either weight. You could shoot everything in the 168 class, 175 would be on a case by case basis, on how these react to slower muzzle velocity, with a good twist.
Don't know what bear or size your targeting, but you'll want a bullet to break heavy bone and punch through. Maybe A-Frame, Partition, Nosler AB, or mono bullets 145gr and above. My 8.5 twist didn't shoot the 178 gr Barnes at all (under stabilized), so consider that.
If it were me, I'd look at Partition, Barnes, and Hammer bullets.
If you have a SAAMI length chamber you may struggle seating them out to preserve case capacity as bullet length goes up.

Yeah in a perfect world I know what id use but right now availability is the issue. The ones I listed are what I could get my hands on so thats what im gonna use. as far as chamber it isn't cut yet and I was going to send a long dummy with whatever I use for him to throat it. I looked into the Hammers but dont know enough about them to commit so thats kinda scary for me!

I felt the same way a couple years ago about the hammers. Use the 124 HH in my 6.5x47. Phenomenal deer bullet. It's really no risk to try them. Hammer will but them back if they don't shoot in your gun. Not many companies offer that! I will be placing a order with hammer this week, as I'm switching a few guns over to them. Just be sure you got a fast enough twist to shoot the hammers.

Yeah that does sound great! begs the question though which one? they've got several offerings and I don't know much about em.

I'd call them. They also have incredible customer service. Won't sell you something that won't work. There's guys getting over 3300 FPS with 280 AI with the 140 AH. Some with 22-24" barrels. Look up the absolute hammer reloading page in the reloading section on here. Lots of info.

The 15" bbl will limit your muzzle velocity, I'm so I'd choose the lighter bullets you've listed as available to you.

I've had good results using the Nosler 150 ABLR bullet in both my 7mm RSAUM and 7mm BR XP-100's in killing deer

I've also had good results using the Hornady 162 ELDX bullet in my 7mm RSAUM.

I will add that I don't have any experience with 15" barrels. But that's why I recommended the absolute line of bullets. Thought they'd help in the velocity department.

The lighter bullet idea is probly a good call! The next hunt is a bear but I'd like for this to be a elk capable gun which is why I'm leaning heavier than just deer bullet. But the solids would help that. And Nine Run Gun is building the xp for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.