284 Winchester?

huntin_fool

Can anyone give me any info on this cartridge? I was reading about it at work today and it got me really interested. Does any company chamber this round in rifles anymore? After reading about it, i really wanna pick one up eventually. What would i need to purchase in order for a gunsmith to rebarrel a rifle for it?

I cannot supply any information on a straight 284, but I can give you a little about a wildcat 284 Shehane. It is a 284 with a little of the body taper removed. First the drawbacks, it requires a little more brass prep and uses a custom die set. I am taking 6.5x284 Lapua brass and expanding it. I then shoot a fireforming load (which has been very accurate). Presto, you now have a 284 Shehane. The benefits are about 3 more grains of powder cpacity. 3000 fps is obtainable with a 31" barrel. I hear of some people pushing a straight 284 this fast but, I have my doubts about the life of the brass. Great for F class. The advantage of the high BC 7mm 180gr. bullets is undeniable. It is a great catridge for tight groups and wind cheating. I shot mine this morning a 1000yds. Shot several sub-moa 5 shot groups. I would recomend if you have to build a rifle, to use a long aciton to allow feeding of loaded rounds. The 180 bullets are very long (my OAL is around 3.15"). I currently do not know of any companies that are producing a straight 284. Good luck. Just remember this is my opinion...it may not be worth much.

Lots of good info here.
Try a long action so you can seat bullets where you want and get a fast twist barrel so you can shoot the high bc match bullets.

6mmbr.com has an article about Reloader 17 and mid-capacity cases, especially turns-on the .284win.

Superb case design. Best there is for .473 bolt face. Am thinking of a 10 twist .338/284 as an all-around rifle.

Look at the 6.5/284 for the King Of The 1,000yd ctgs. With RL-17 and correct twist barrel you have more bullets to choose from, and can neck up the 6.5/285 Lapua brass.

My hardback Hodgon manual has .30/284 and .30-06 data as interchangeable. For a one-gun hunter/shooter, would be hard to imagine anything finer. Have played around with the .308 AI and .30-06 AI. With intro of RL-17 new doors are opening...

Can anyone give me any info on this cartridge? I was reading about it at work today and it got me really interested. Does any company chamber this round in rifles anymore? After reading about it, i really wanna pick one up eventually. What would i need to purchase in order for a gunsmith to rebarrel a rifle for it?

The 284 Winchester is for all practical purposes the ballistic equal to the 280 Remington.

The main difference is that it has the same rim diameter as the 280 and the body diameter
of the belted magnums and can be used in a short action.( It has a rebated rim).

The 280 needs the long action. and brass is easier to find or make from 3006 or 270.

So if you have a short action the 284 Win would work in it. If you have a long action then I would recomend the 280.

Both cartriges have a reputation for accuracy and handel all of the .284 bullets well with
a 1in9 twist.

J E CUSTOM

Have owned a .280rem and several .270s. The problem with the .280 is long bullets are too long for optimum seating. They work; but you will achieve better results from a shorter case, all things being equal.

Of course, you don't/can't utilize all the capacity of a .280 or any .30-06 derivative, except maybe a Whelen. So, the .284 shines for longrange where you need usable capacity.

A 175gr Sierra BTSP in 7mm measures 1.415" oal. Don't have any .277 bullets anymore, but a 130gr sierra BTSP loaded round measures 3.275" oal from my old ammo stash. DWM case and bullet seated length of neck; not protruding below shoulder. If seated the same on a necked up .270win case (which describes the .280rem, no?) the oal is about 3.575" oal which could be problem in some rifles. There are many even longer bullets out there for 7mm.

About the only downside of the .284 I could imagine is reduced magazine capacity due to case diameter, but as I can load almost 6rds into a win70 la magazine, the difference of .027 per case is negligible.

Look at the case dimensions of ctgs with reputation for most innate precision, PPC, BR, .308 variants etc and all are short-bodied. The .338 Norma will likely supersede the Lapua.

A long action enables the .284 win to make best use of its longrange potential and shoot the long oal bullets that have highest ballistic coefficiency.

I am building (2) .284 Win. rifles. one a benchrest straight 1.2" barrel 30" finished and the other a 26" heavy varmint taper fluted to reduce weight etc. building both on short action 700's in single shot format as I figure I don't need a magazine for long range as much as I need the stability of the shorter action triple pillar bedded in Devcon and can maximize the cartridge length for best group results.
for my momey the .284 with a 180 gr. bullet is supperior to a lot of long range cartidges and is a most versitile hunting cartridge. can load 140 grain for yotes and 180 grain for elk etc.
Dano

so if i was goin to build one would i be better off to go with a short action or long action? if i could go with a short action i could technically use the 22-250 i have now and have it rebarrelled? Or will the bolt not work? Thanks for all the info guys. Its helping me sort out alot of stuff and ideas that i need to get started sometime in the future.

I would use a long action. My loaded 284 rounds with 180 vld are about 3.1'' long. I do not know how well that will work in a short action. I am pretty sure it will not work in a short action magazine.

I am not using a magazine. If you are intending to use a magazine you most definitely want to use long action. But the 3.1" artridges work fine in the short action single shot. I don't load for my magazine in my .308 as it requires far too much jump to the lands so I shoot it single shot even though it is a BDL model as I find it shoots way better with the bullet seated about 10 thou off the lands.
Dano

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.