284 win-vs-28 nosler

BillLarson

I`m shooting a straight 284 win...am looking at the 28 nosler.... for anyone with experience with berger 195`s or 183 sierra`s please explain...
thank you you....
bill Larson

Case capacity help show the difference. A 28 Nosler holds approximately 93 gr of water. The 284 win holds approx. 63 gr of water.

This is just over a 32% increase in capacity. This increase will yield an approximate increase in velocity by 1/4th the gain in capacity. So in theory the 28 Nosler will have a 8% velocity gain over the 284 with all things equal. I didn't get into seating depth which could alter this percentage.

The short SAMMI spec of a 2.8" OAL for the 284 may cause longer bullets to be deep into the case changing this relationship. If the 284 round has the bullet seated out to a longer OAL it might be as I suggested above.

These cases have different head diameters, body dimensions and lengths. The 284 win is 2.180" long and the 28 Nosler is 2.590" long. ETC ETC.......

So another question about comparing 2 different cartridge.. How does the 7-300WM or compare to the 28 nosler shooting the same size bullet?

So another question about comparing 2 different cartridge.. How does the 7-300WM or compare to the 28 nosler shooting the same size bullet?
Much closer. You might also look at the 7mm STW, we have such a following for it here it has it's own subforum.

7mm STW - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

I'm about as hooked on the STW as a guy can be but if I wanted a high performance 7mm today I'd probably go with the 28 Nosler just because of the fact Nosler will be standing behind it with factory ammo and brass for decades to come.

The STW is just sexier though! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.