284 win velocities with rl16

51.1 RL-16
wlr primer
Hornady 6.5-284 necked up and turned
Hornady 162 bthp.
2819 10 shot es 13
groups consistently 0.5 moa or better
mild pressure on 8th reload and going strong
this is my savage hunting gun with 1-9 , 25 inch brux barrel there is more velocity to be had but this just works from 25-83 degrees every time

Just the load data I was hoping to find on this thread. Thanks can1010. Will be working toward those #'s this late winter.

Just the load data I was hoping to find on this thread. Thanks can1010. Will be working toward those #'s this late winter.
went out on 1-2-19 to check new lot of RL-16
sunny 27 degrees light wind. velocity increased 3 fps and SD went from 9 to 12
all in all not bad for two different lot # pretty consistent

on this new barrel i will be concentrating on the 162 eld m,and was wondering if anyone knows if the saami spec reamer will accomodate the 162 freebore wise? every time i try to google saami spec 284 chamber dimensions,all i see is a reamer print with typos

Wait a minute. I am looking at page 90 and I see the top half of the page is cartridge print and the bottom half the page is chamber specs?

i
Wait a minute. I am looking at page 90 and I see the top half of the page is cartridge print and the bottom half the page is chamber specs?
what was the free bore on that print because I have seen from .120-.225 depending on manufacture
I have .220 on mine and the 162 eld-m touching is 3.181 and bearing surface is well above neck/shoulder junction
not sure if this helps not knowing what your smith has on his reamer but it is the best I can offer

I'm not sure this drawing shows that. Help a fella out. Is it the difference between the neck and where the lands begin 0.5241.

I've not look into your question fully before and not sure enough to answer it with the confidence the others on the forum have. does this page goes as far, to answer the op's and can1010's questions.

Attachments

• 284specs.jpg
    284specs.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.