284 win ultralight rifle hunting load data

I'm trying to decide on which caliber to barrel my long range savage build. I have a 260 and 7mm-08 already but wouldn't hesitate to choose either one for ease (got the brass and assort. dies). But since I was around when Winchester introduced the 284 and have always wanted to build a bolt action around this caliber cause I thinks its got the coolness factor and some added powder capacity for a short action cartridge. The H4831SC seems to be the majority choice from any thread you read about 284 load work on. Got about 2 more weeks to decide but the 284 is appealing more and more. Dave

I'm trying to decide on which caliber to barrel my long range savage build. I have a 260 and 7mm-08 already but wouldn't hesitate to choose either one for ease (got the brass and assort. dies). But since I was around when Winchester introduced the 284 and have always wanted to build a bolt action around this caliber cause I thinks its got the coolness factor and some added powder capacity for a short action cartridge. The H4831SC seems to be the majority choice from any thread you read about 284 load work on. Got about 2 more weeks to decide but the 284 is appealing more and more. Dave
I have a lot of experience with my .284, if you need any help deciding or what to choose let me know. I love mine and it's one of my favorite cartridges ever. I use RL23 in mine with 175gr Berger's. RL23 is very similar to the burn rate of H4831, but it gets more speed per kernel than H4831. Both are excellent choices for the .284 though.

Thanks Jud, like I said time is drawing close so I gotta make a choice. Peterson offers good brass and dies are available so its on my short list. If I pick it I will have a couple questions for you however, again its that "coolness" factor for me I've never owned one. Dave

Thanks Jud, like I said time is drawing close so I gotta make a choice. Peterson offers good brass and dies are available so its on my short list. If I pick it I will have a couple questions for you however, again its that "coolness" factor for me I've never owned one. Dave
I use the Peterson brass in mine and it's great stuff, and it's not overly expensive. The .284 does have that cool factor over other rounds like the .280 Remington and runs right behind the .280 Ackley. The .284 is definitely a cool and great cartridge.

Wanted to say thanks again for all the help. Also, sorry for the delay as I've been out for a bit for a honeymoon.

The gun and most components have arrived. In the images below, I summarized what reloading combinations I have to work with along with the loads I could locate online that mesh with what I have. I also put the development loads I'm considering to try first once the brass arrives. Will be limited on number of range trips before the season unfortunately

Any thoughts or feedback on what specific charges or combos have worked in others similar set ups would be appreciated, also just wanted to keep those in the loop who have been so helpful.

If I can't get the loads to work with why I have available I may try some of the other recommendations in this thread, but would like to start with what I have available first.

0682FEAB-64BD-4961-9C6C-B9917979ADFF.png
B9E1CF4B-54B0-4FA4-BA14-A88A17C59973.jpeg

Did you ever get this 284 up and running?
Running around 52 gr of H4350 looked the most promising with 162 eldX @2812 fps. Around 3/4" but I need to do quite a bit more and fine tune now that I have some once fired brass.

First pass 160 accubond were running 70 fps slower and not as accurate. I figure with the lower velocities the EldX should hold together fine and open at lower velocities..

Open to feedback

For those that helped, just wanted to bring this TTT as a thank you and update. I ended up with a 168 accubond long range running 2803 fps w the following load:
CCI BR2
58 gr H4831SC
.076" jump
Roughly 1/3-1/2 MOA

I'd say it did the trick on a steep downhill quarter away on a brisk walk at just under 200 yards. Full penetration and dropped this 10 y/o ram in its tracks:

Very pleased with bullet performance at that velocity.

Attachments

• EBB2D9C0-8779-4466-9CB7-A62F8C536D82.jpeg
    EBB2D9C0-8779-4466-9CB7-A62F8C536D82.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 56
I have shot a win.284 quite alot.from 600-1000+ yds.
accuracy wise,it,s a hard caliber to beat.
Mainly with 180 gr.bullets and H4831sc powder.
Never killed an animal with it but will build a hunting rifle this winter...

For those that helped, just wanted to bring this TTT as a thank you and update. I ended up with a 168 accubond long range running 2803 fps w the following load:
CCI BR2
58 gr H4831SC
.076" jump
Roughly 1/3-1/2 MOA

I'd say it did the trick on a steep downhill quarter away on a brisk walk at just under 200 yards. Full penetration and dropped this 10 y/o ram in its tracks:

Very pleased with bullet performance at that velocity.
Wow, I do admire a nice ram!! Congratulations, are deserved indeed!! Thanks for the photo.

It's always added to my satisfaction when "making meat" with ammo I've assembled. Even more so when with a rifle of my conception. My only 284 so far began as a Rem M7 SS 7-08 20" bbl & I had GS re-chamber to 284-so very limited COAL by mag. Took 2 moose (1 cow & 1 bull - 57") at <200yds over the years & passed down to a son. I had settled on 140g partitions but don't recall powder/fps details.

My 1 Dall ram was with a 6.5 swede @~75yds. A M96 mauser that persuaded me to seek a lighter rifle to tote around the mountains. 1 son has taken 2 rams w/7-08; my wife took hers w/250 savage AI (me tagging along in each case) I'd had built on M700 SA for sons to hunt with (2 oldest were 8&9 when they shot 1st caribou w/that 250AI—me tagging along again, of course)!.

Trying not to be envious of that sweet, hard to draw for, desert ram. Was it in TX?

All this is contributing to my already serious desire for building a 284 on a Tikka now.

I was able to procure one of the 200 Model 70 284 DBM's that were offered in the 1990's. It prints 140 TTSX bullets well under 1 MOA with a stout charge of 4350. Velocity is over 3100 FPS. I also have a browning A-bolt that has gone thru 11,000 rounds and the second barrel is just now approaching 1 MOA. Both of these rifles have magazines and limit options for seating depth of bullets, but it seems the jump doesn't bother the accuracy of Barnes bullets. There have been some feeding problems with the clips and their design which is why I have made the move to the 280 AI and the browning X-bolt.

Recent Posts