284 Win Elk bullet

Ok that makes sense now. Steve and I talked a bunch about which bullet. With a 9 I was curious about getting away with the 155's. I hunted elk close to 9500' so I had plenty of stability. I wish I could get away with the 177

Yea the 143 is designed for 9" twist and the 155g is designed for 8.5" twist and the 177g for 8" twist.

Steve

Steve just wanted to do an update on a load I developed after my elk hunt. Yesterday we had good conditions with a south wind at our back about 3mph. Rarely happens in Wyoming it seems. Anyway printed a 5 shot group .25 moa at 100. Velocity was 2950 behind RL-17. Honestly expected a little more as it matches my 162 Amaxs velocity at same charge weight. Might have been the Norma brass though. I found pressure at 53.5 grains with Hornady brass. I had same extractor marks on Norma at 52.5 grains.

The first group I shot with my load was in the .1's. I took it to 400 on some blank painted steel. Printed and 1" 3 shot group.

Very happy with the bullet performance. Took me 15 rounds to find my load.

Steve just wanted to do an update on a load I developed after my elk hunt. Yesterday we had good conditions with a south wind at our back about 3mph. Rarely happens in Wyoming it seems. Anyway printed a 5 shot group .25 moa at 100. Velocity was 2950 behind RL-17. Honestly expected a little more as it matches my 162 Amaxs velocity at same charge weight. Might have been the Norma brass though. I found pressure at 53.5 grains with Hornady brass. I had same extractor marks on Norma at 52.5 grains.

The first group I shot with my load was in the .1's. I took it to 400 on some blank painted steel. Printed and 1" 3 shot group.

Very happy with the bullet performance. Took me 15 rounds to find my load.

Very nice. That is how load development should be. Now you can spend trigger time shooting things more interesting than load development. If it were me I would call the rifle done, but if you want to get more vel you could try another powder and see how it does. If you can get hold of some of the new RL-16 it could be worth a try.

Steve

I'll add to the conversation in case anyone is interested.

284 Win GAP specced reamer (don't remember the details at the moment).
Tikka T3, Brux #3, 24", chambered by myself. Velocities determined with a ProChrono

I'm currently shooting 145 LRX, RL 17, Lapua brass at 3000+ fps, .75 groups at 100. This has killed two cow elk so far, both fell over dead where they stood. One at about 380 yds and the other at 420. I recovered one bullet - perfect expansion.

160 Nosler AB, RL 17, 2900+ fps, .5" at 100, one dead elk, DRT

I'm currently working on 162 ELD X and RL 26 - waiting for winter to ease before moving forward with load development

Jclimb Ill be curious to know your results with RL 26. I had good luck with 17 and the 162 Amax. Obviously had good luck with the 155gr Hammer and RL 17.

My 284 LA is almost complete with 1:9 28" Criterion bbl. I am gonna try the 175 Elites in this gun. I have some 4831sc, but will try 17 as well. Should I give Rl 26 a try with those heavies? Some have suggested 7828ssc also.

Jclimb Ill be curious to know your results with RL 26. I had good luck with 17 and the 162 Amax. Obviously had good luck with the 155gr Hammer and RL 17.

My 284 LA is almost complete with 1:9 28" Criterion bbl. I am gonna try the 175 Elites in this gun. I have some 4831sc, but will try 17 as well. Should I give Rl 26 a try with those heavies? Some have suggested 7828ssc also.

Seems like RL 26 might work good with the heavier bullets in the 284. But, I'm definitely not an expert on powders....maybe someone else can chime in? I won't be hitting the range for another few months though, so I won't have any personal data until then. From what I have been reading, people are getting nice results with 26 in calibers other than what it is advertised for. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

I can say that another cow elk fell to the 145 LRX this morning. Double lung shot at 250-300 yds. She was on the move with the rest of the herd, continued about 30 yds after she was hit and then crashed. Complete pass through, golf ball size exit.

For those ranges/speeds a 140gr TSX seems like a good contender.
I firm believer in Barnes TSX for hunting. I live here in California and have to use copper bullets. I tried some of other copper bullets. I had no good luck with the Nosler copper bullets. I just starting on trying the Hornady copper bullets.

Hammer Hunters are my go to copper. I was a Barnes LRX fan. Not anymore. I shoot Hammer Hunters Bullets. They are extremely accurate and easy to develop a load for. One of the owners have answered the phone Everytime I've called. Out of a ten shot group they are almost one big hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.