284 Win/162 A-Max/RL-17

Ksmirk

Anyone got a chance to play with this yet? Just curious since I have been loading with Hybrid100V and about to try out the RL-17. I have a 3.100 COL just looking for a little help on starting load suggestions, any help would be great! Later,

Kirk

Anyone got a chance to play with this yet? Just curious since I have been loading with Hybrid100V and about to try out the RL-17. I have a 3.100 COL just looking for a little help on starting load suggestions, any help would be great! Later,

Kirk
I was shooting 51 grns of r17 in mine with a 154, shooting 2980 fps. 53 showed plenty of pressure for my taste. I have seen loads published on here that were much higher. one guy was talking 58 with a 180 vld, that would blow my rifle apart so be carefull. maybe start around 47 or so. when I called alliant they told me 47 to 54 with a 140 if I remember correctly. at that time they didn't have any data for the heavy bullets but were very helpful.

Kyle, I believe I have spoke to you over on 6BR, I kinda took the same road but no intention of shooting "F" class I just wanted a long range rifle that didn't weigh 15#. My original plan was a 280AI but I like to be different so I went with the 284 Win on a long action to get the most of the case I could with the 162 A-Max or 180 Berger. I have not had a mess of time yet to really get serious that's what happens when you build 2 at a time. I sure do appreciate the information fella's and it will give me a great place to start. I'm starting to figure out going with the 284 Win over the 280AI is going to be the best mistake I've made in sometime. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.