284 Shehane build suggestions

Monkeygoat

I was drawn to the 284 Shehane by the efficiency - energy/grain for the cartridge, and the slippery shapes of the 180gr and up 7mm's. Going with 318 neck for no-turn, and 250 freebore for 180's and heavier. Picked up a Tikka Hunter in 30-06 as the donor, so I can feed from the mag at my desired coal.

Original plan was a 30-31" heavy palma in a KRG or other chassis. Now kicking around the idea of a 27" in a lighter contour and keeping the hunter stock as is, or even a medium contour anywhere from 27-31" and opening up the hunter stock.

Use will be mostly target and long range steel, but potentially some pig hunting. Would love to try my hand at a mile at some point as well. The Tikka Hunter is such a nice and well-balanced package, I'm now hesitant to go so long and heavy. I will, of course, lose velocity and stability for long range with a shorter/lighter platform. Is there any threading of this needle, or should I keep it light and buy a 338 for the long range fun?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.