284 enough rifle?

600yds6x6

I would like to purchase a long range rifle. I am looking at a 284 cal. Will this be enough rifle to shoot deer or elk out to 700 yds? I shot an elk at 600 yds last yr. with a 300 mag. One shot kill will the 284 due the same?

I would like to purchase a long range rifle. I am looking at a 284 cal. Will this be enough rifle to shoot deer or elk out to 700 yds? I shot an elk at 600 yds last yr. with a 300 mag. One shot kill will the 284 due the same?

The 284 Win is an excellent choice for a hunting cartridge, think of it as one of the first short magnums:) As far a performance it will easily take deer to 700 yds and if you already have a 300 mag you don't need to shoot elk with the 284!

I have hunted with a 284 for over 20 years and have taken a few elk ( I mainly hunt elk with a muzzleloader) with it over the years, I'ts primary use is as my deer rifle....I use a 300 mag for longer ranges and the two calibers compliment each other nicely.

If course if this is to be a new custom build you should consider a 7WSM cause you can push it a little more and its easier to get brass...........

My .284 pushed a 180 grain berger @ 2925FPS Ran the numbers and I would be confident with it for Whitetail and Elk at 1000yards and under.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.