284 baer data

I've been shooting one for years and can give you all the data you need.

I just need to know what twist barrel you have, and what you intend to do with it.
Fire forming brass is simple, just load the 300 Wby case and pull the trigger. I assume you have a tight neck as he does not have a no turn reamer for the .284.

Flatlander...

This might sound rude but you know Joel was pointing out that you might have to turn the case necks down to properly fit and safely fire right? I hope to not offend, just making sure everyone is safe.

Flatlander...

This might sound rude but you know Joel was pointing out that you might have to turn the case necks down to properly fit and safely fire right? I hope to not offend, just making sure everyone is safe.

Yes, you will have to turn your necks. The only reamer he has is for a .312" neck.
I turn necks and run .003" clearance with Norma brass.

Your 9 tw will be fine.

Since your chamber was cut with the same reamer that cut mine, here's a few numbers for you...

180 Berger, 3.870" will just touch the lands.
168 Berger, 3.845" will just touch the lands.
162 A-Max 3.840" will just touch the lands.

I have found the best accuracy came from H-1000 and the 180 Berger at 3,200 fps, and the 168 Berger at 3,280 fps. These are accuracy loads, not velocity loads. My particular rifle will hang around 10 fps ES. Retumbo gave me very close to the same velocity with similiar accuracy, but I gave the nod to H-1000.

You can try H-1000, Retumbo, RL22, H-4831, MRP...

Need more help, shoot me a PM and I'll get ya squared away.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts