.284 180 grn in a 7 mag?

ackleyguy

Ijust got a brand new Winchester Laredo in 7 mag with the Boss sytym on it . I was thinkin about trying the Berger or JLK 180 grnr in it . The twist is 1-9 I think and the barrel is 24 so what powder for this weight RX 25, H-1000, IMR 7828? what do you think will the bullet stabilize in this twist and what do you think velocity wise out of a 24" tube with the 180's....2800, 2900? or do you think i should just try the 168 Sierra matchkings and be happy with that? going to try to get a groundhog at 1500 or so this year so the 7 i think should be ok...do you agree??
confused.gif

I just got a box of them yesterday to try out. I've got a 9.5 twist in my model 70 and wrote Berger before ordering them asking if it would stabilize the bullets. Walt wrote back <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>"Your 1-9.5 (if it is a true 1-9.5) will be more than adequate for the 180 grain VLD bullet. It will provide a stability
factor of 1.19 to 1.29 which is adequate for all normal shooting conditions. A 1-9 twist provides 1.33 to 1.43 at
the same velocities and environmental conditions. Seat the bullet out to touch the lands and I think you will find it
is an exceptionally good bullet"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm intending on trying H1000 and H4831 SC if this wind will ever stop long enough for me to shoot.

I've tried the 168 SMK and while they didn't do bad, the 162 AMax's have been shooting better. I've been hitting Jackrabbits out in the 400 yard range with them fairly regular the last few weeks, and at 800 yards, they seem to hit the target more frequently than did the Matchkings.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.