.280ai

ddean08

Ok so bear with me I'm new to the forum. I've gone through the search bar and done a lot of research way before ever making an account.
I've been on a quest to build a all around mountain rifle and keep landing on .280 ai for the caliber.

my question is what's yalls opinions on it sticking around. I want to buy a a factory rifle vs build one. My problem is I'm seeing a lot of rifles that were offered in .280ai that are no longer so makes me worry that it's losing popularity. But I also see that Peterson started offering brass this years it's just out of stock. I'm not exactly against building one but I'm scared to invest in something that I wouldn't be able to get components for. But also enjoy having the option to purchase factory ammo in a pinch.

the 280 A.I. is going nowhere it will never be a 270 win or a 30-06 but its not leaving buy with confidence you are getting a great chambering there will always be components we were shooting them many years before they were a factory chambering

Well I can tell you that here in Helena MT there were more 280AI 'factory' rounds on the shelf than .280 this year. A lot more. I was able to find .280AI brass in most of the retail shops here as well.

I think it's going to be around for quite a while. It's a very, very versatile cartridge.

This is comforting to hear. I appreciate the quick replies.
I do have another question and maybe some more people will chime in. I've been tossing around either a Christensen ridge line or the weatherby mark v back country.
But by the time I'm spending that much money on a factory rifle would I be better off just having one built to my personal spec?

I haven't settled on an action but if I were to build it would probably be a 22" Schneider barrel and ag composites stock. Haven't settled on an action but I'm judge researching all my options.

I would build for sure I will not spend that kind of money on a factory rifle and you may think about a24 inch barrel no need to handicap the round the weight difference in minimal you can make it up on optics, mounts actions

This is comforting to hear. I appreciate the quick replies.
I do have another question and maybe some more people will chime in. I've been tossing around either a Christensen ridge line or the weatherby mark v back country.
But by the time I'm spending that much money on a factory rifle would I be better off just having one built to my personal spec?

I haven't settled on an action but if I were to build it would probably be a 22" Schneider barrel and ag composites stock. Haven't settled on an action but I'm judge researching all my options.

If I had the coin I'd have a rifle built for me. And I may just do that at some point, and if I do it would be a .280AI.

I do own a .280AI- it was originally a .280 built for a guy in CO by Kevin Weaver, 21" Shilen barrel on classic Mauser action. The guy passed and the widow had Kevin sell his firearms. I bought it and had him convert it to a .280AI. The stock is waaaay too short for me, so I have it with my local gunsmith to lengthen the stock. I haven't played with it yet though.

Last edited:
there is a 280 AI that just showed up for sale in the classifieds looks like a good buy might take a look cornbinder57 has it for sale

Well I would think that availability of good brass or good factory ammo and rifles etc would decrease as popularity does. And I could be wrong. But that was just a concern of mine also reason for getting some opinions on here.

Well I would think that availability of good brass or good factory ammo and rifles etc would decrease as popularity does. And I could be wrong. But that was just a concern of mine also reason for getting some opinions on here.

I have not seen popularity dwindle here. Too many benefits- performance nipping at the heels of a 7mm-mag with less powder in a non-belted case, generally can load one extra round- what's not to like? It's a pretty solid cartridge and it's been around a long time. I had no hesitation converting that .280 Mauser into an AI.

But I also have a .257AI that I love as well. I'm biased. :)

Alamo Precision Arms will build you a fine 280ai for a reasonable price.
I found 280ai factory ammo and brass pretty readily. I seriously doubt it is going anywhere. If anything, it seems to be surging in popularity. Seems to be new posts on this cartridge almost daily on the various sites I frequent.

I went with .270 AI over .280 AI because everybody in their brother has one. Popularity was never a criterion for me on chambering choice but rather a personal choice for my intended purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.