280AI won't chamber

The case mouth is hitting the crimp ring in the die as you seat your bullet. Set it up correctly by putting an empty case in the ram, bring it to the top and screw the die in until light contact then screw the die out one full turn...fixed.

Cheers.

Someone smarter than me should figure out how to tell people what the hell the SAMMI dimensions are once and for all. I believe the die standard nomenclature is 280 Ack.Imp. for Sammi and 280 Ackley Improved 40 Degree for the old chamber.
.280 Ackley Improved for SAAMI, .280 Rem Ackley Improved 40 deg. for the "Traditional". That's how Redding differentiates between the old and the new. Use these descriptions universally to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
The case mouth is hitting the crimp ring in the die as you seat your bullet. Set it up correctly by putting an empty case in the ram, bring it to the top and screw the die in until light contact then screw the die out one full turn...fixed.

Cheers.
That does look like the problem. That can make the shoulder swell out, like in the pic,,,, besides creating some other problems .

Per the Redding website mentioned I am using exactly the 280AI dies and .014 competition shell holder. Thanks, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.