280AI vs 7WSM for hunting Washigton elk?

dewiseman

I am getting a ruger NO1 rebarrelled for 7mm and have been researching the difference between 280AI and 7wsm. I seem to be getting alot of conflicting data from the different reloading manuals. (some seem to show these about equal) I have ordered a Broughton 1-9 twist barrel, planning on a 24in barrel predominately for elk hunting in eastern WA and a moose hunt in BC this fall. Would there be much of a gain to go with the 7wsm over the 280AI ? I don't have much experience with long range hunting and five to six hundred yards sounds long to me right now. (they tell me that the average shots for the moose in that area is usually under two hundred yards ) OH, and I was planning on the 160gr + bullet range. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks guy's.

You might want to check but I don't believe the WSM's can't be used in the single shot actions due to the diameter of the round and the pressure developed.
The 280AI is an awesome round from my research. Very accurate and efficient.

Hopefully where the elk are. lol I'm not sure where to hunt yet, I want to try eastern WA maybe the CleElum area or between Wenatche and Ellensburgh. I have scouted the area around Whistleing Jacks but it can be tough to get in there due to road conditions. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hopefully where the elk are. lol I'm not sure where to hunt yet, I want to try eastern WA maybe the CleElum area or between Wenatche and Ellensburgh. I have scouted the area around Whistleing Jacks but it can be tough to get in there due to road conditions. Any suggestions?

Well, Cle Elum isn't really Eastern Washington, apart from the fact it is east of Snoqualmie pass.:D

The Colockum area is probably still the most productive elk area in the state as far hunting goes.

I love the 7mm WSM and you can find factory ammo if for some reason you don't have your handloaded ammunition with you. Much harder for the AI.

Bill

Now that you mention it , it is kind of funny that we (weter WA) think of anything past Snoqualmie Pass as eastern WA.

Well, the Cascade Curtain, as well as the King County political bent, does make it seem like everything east of the Cascades is Eastern Washington, (since once you are East of the Cascades the politics become A LOT more conservative) but really Ellensburg (or maybe Cle Elum) to Ritzville is Central Washington, with Eastern Washington from say Moses Lake to the border overlapping that Central Washington area. That 40 mile area from Moses Lake to Ritzville gets thrown into both Central Washington and Eastern Washington.

Either way, there is some great Elk hunting over here, according to my Elk hunting friends. (Elk hunting seems like a lot of time for such a little return! :D Ten guys go, drink lots of beer, and one guy gets his elk!)

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.