280ai vs 284 Winchester

I'm building a super lightweight mountain hunting rifle and because of the ammo shortage I'm starting to question my caliber choice. I was firmly set on the 280ai but I can't find a piece of 280ai brass anywhere. I don't have dies and they are providing hard to find too. I am starting to lean towards the old 284 Winchester. Good quality Brass seems to be available from Norma, Peterson and lapua and for some reason it's in stock. The dies are in stock too. Here's the question. I've never shot a 284, I've had a 6.5-284 but never a 284. I don't know what kind of performance I can expect. The rifle will be built on a long action either way so I will have extra room for the 284 to breathe. What kind of performance difference should I expect between the two out of a 22" barrel with 160 class bullets?
Just get the gunsmith to run the 280 ai reamer in short and use 30/06 brass

There's plenty of 280 AI out there and it is a superior cartridge. Don't get me wrong, I have both. But only because I was gifted the 284. My 280 AI is still my go to for everything in the lower 48. I just got some brass for it last week. 7mm bullets on the other hand, those can be tough to find.

I've owned a 280, 7 SAUM, 7 RM and now a 284. The 284 (23" barrel) is on a long action and in my opinion, not much more than a 7/08. Now if I can get some 6.5 RPM brass and a custom die, I think that 7/6.5 RPM would definitely be the ticket.
284 is like a 7/08, what planet are you on(no offence)? I'm getting 280 and up ballistics in mine, never got that out of a 7/08 for sure.

Performance wise, the 284 and the 280 Rem. are twins. The only real difference is that the 284 can be housed in a short action, where as the 280 needs a long action. That's why Melvin Forbes used the 284 in his first rifles. When you are trying to build ultra-light rifles, every little bit helps.

There is no Peterson 280ai brass around right now. I gave them a call and they said there not sure when they would run 280ai again. Just like everything gun related, there busy as hell these days trying to keep up.

7mm-08 with 6.5staball powder or H100V and it runs the same from a lightweight 24" barrel as the 284 win or 280 rem or ai version and brass is easy to come by. Of note would be a 270 win with 1-7.5 or 1-8 twist barrel since you have a long action new heavy bullets in 270 make it worth while. Thanks to 6.8 western and 27 Nosler

7mm-08 with 6.5staball powder or H100V and it runs the same from a lightweight 24" barrel as the 284 win or 280 rem or ai version and brass is easy to come by. Of note would be a 270 win with 1-7.5 or 1-8 twist barrel since you have a long action new heavy bullets in 270 make it worth while. Thanks to 6.8 western and 27 Nosler
You have a load recipe that gives the 7-08 the same performance as a 284/280AI in a 24" barrel ?

284 is like a 7/08, what planet are you on(no offence)? I'm getting 280 and up ballistics in mine, never got that out of a 7/08 for sure.
I believe I said, not much more. I've owned a 7 SAUM which is a substantial step up from those two cartridge, but magnum bolt face.
Probably it's more about the cartridge not ejecting each time that lends to my love hate for the 284.
I'll just stick with the 6.5 Rem mag in a model 7 for my lightweight, knock them down gun. Plus it pushes a 125 partition up to 3200 FPS.

I believe I said, not much more. I've owned a 7 SAUM which is a substantial step up from those two cartridge, but magnum bolt face.
Probably it's more about the cartridge not ejecting each time that lends to my love hate for the 284.
I'll just stick with the 6.5 Rem mag in a model 7 for my lightweight, knock them down gun. Plus it pushes a 125 partition up to 3200 FPS.
No issues with my kimber 84 L ejecting cartridges. And 120 ttsx hits 3064 FPS. But maybe I got lucky with mine. It has a permanent home now b

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.